Do you have a some vegetables lingering in your fridge, and you are not sure what to do with them? Have you eaten every salad combination possible? Change up how you deal with left-over vegetables by making this simple and quick udon noodle stir-fry! Pick up a package of frozen udon noodles during your next trip to the grocery store. These noodles are a great addition to stir fry dishes and simple broth-based soups. 

Leftovers are a great time-saver for when you are too busy to prepare a meal from scratch. Making a bigger portion of this recipe and saving the rest in your fridge will come in handy during a busy week. 

Veggie Udon Stir-Fry

• 500 grams frozen udon noodles
  • 1/3 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/3 cup brown beech shimeji mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup edamame beans
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper strips
  • 1/2 cup bean sprouts
  • 25 ml minced garlic
  • 25 ml chopped ginger
  • 5 ml granulated sugar
  • 75 ml soy sauce
  • 15 ml rice wine vinegar
  • 15 ml sesame oil
  • 15 ml cooking or vegetable oil
  • chopped green onion cilantro or sesame seeds to garnish
Allysha To

Prepare the vegetables of your choice. Bean sprouts, edamame beans, carrots, mushrooms, and bell peppers are used here. The edamame beans can be boiled or steamed first, and then the beans should be taken out of the pods.

Allysha To

Add the minced garlic and ginger into a pan or wok on medium heat with the cooking oil. Cook for around two minutes, just until the ingredients become aromatic.

Allysha To

The prepared vegetables can now all go into the pan. Stir fry everything for 5-10 minutes on medium-high heat. While this cooks, prepare a pot of boiling water for the noodles.

Allysha To

Boil the frozen udon noodles for 8 minutes, or according to the package. Once they are cooked through, drain and add into the pan. Add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil. Continue to cook and mix all the ingredients together.

Allysha To

Garnish with chopped green onion, cilantro, or sesame seeds. Enjoy!

Allysha To

If you would like some spice, add in a heaping teaspoon of sambal oelek or sriracha to amp up the flavour. The great thing about stir-fry dishes are that you can add any ingredient to the pan. Try making this recipe with different vegetables and proteins. For instance, pan-fried firm tofu makes for a great source of protein and shredded purple cabbage adds some crunch and vibrant colour to the dish.