If you love curry dishes, you are going to be making this butternut squash and shrimp curry all the dang time. Every single part of this dish is incredibly flavorful. The sweetness of the butternut squash and the spiciness of the jalapeños work together so well and it is perfect for all you sweet & spicy lovers out there. The fresh ingredients used in the recipe are also good for your body, so why would you not give it a try? Happy cooking!

Butternut Squash and Shrimp Curry

• Total Time:1 hr

• 2 pounds shrimp
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 jalapeño
  • 1 onion
  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup cilantro
  • 2/3 cup cooking olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoons coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon water
Mareesa Ahmad

Wash the butternut squash and cut both ends off. Cut in half and then begin peeling off the skin using a sharp knife. Once both ends are peeled, cut them in half lengthwise and spoon all of the seeds out and discard. Dice the remaining squash halves into about 1 inch pieces. Set aside.

Mareesa Ahmad

Peel and devein the shrimp. Set aside.

Mareesa Ahmad

Wash the tomato, jalapeño, onion, bell pepper, and cilantro. Thinly slice the tomato and dice the jalapeño, onion, and bell pepper. Roughly chop the cilantro. Set all chopped veggies aside.

Mareesa Ahmad

Heat a medium pot on medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and reduce heat to medium and add a pinch of salt/pepper.

Mareesa Ahmad

When the onions start to brown a little, add paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and water. Stir for about 15 seconds only so the spices do not burn.

Mareesa Ahmad

Add shrimp and butternut squash. Cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.

Mareesa Ahmad

Add the tomato, jalapeño, onion, bell pepper, and cilantro (you can also wait to add the cilantro at the very end). Stir every 5 minutes for about 20-30 minutes or until the butternut squash is soft and shrimp is cooked through. If you waited to add the cilantro, go ahead and sprinkle that yummy, fresh cilantro on top of the finished curry.

Mareesa Ahmad

Spoon the curry on top of white rice and eat with, of course, a spoon! #NeverForks

Mareesa Ahmad

The ingredients listed above can be found in most grocery stores, but if you are having trouble locating the 4 spices (paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric), find a local Asian or Indian store near you. Also, purchasing butternut squash can be tricky for the first time, so check out this article to learn how to pick a perfectly ripe butternut squash.

Butternut squash and shrimp curry has been one of my mother's favorite meals since she was a child and now she cooks it when I'm home from college. Needless to say, I am thrilled that she passed down the recipe to me so I can share it with all of you! This delicious meal gives you a healthy dose of vitamin A and will most definitely satisfy all your curry cravings.