When fall arrives in late September, a few things come to everyone’s mind: giant leaf piles, apple cider, scarves and of course, pumpkins. What’s great about this unique orange squash is its versatility. We turn them into jack-o-lanterns and place them on our front porches, roast their seeds as a quick afternoon snack and use their insides to make hardy soups.
Everyone knows that pumpkins are delicious, but studies have also shown that they have health benefits too. Pumpkins can maintain your eyesight and reduce your risk of getting cancer.
Pumpkin is easy to pair with other flavors and makes for a great dessert. Here is a recipe for pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing – one of my fall favorites.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
15 ounces pumpkin purée
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
8 ounces cream cheese
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour a glass pan.
3. Beat the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin in a mixing bowl.
4. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
5. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well.
6. Pour into glass cake pan and spread evenly.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
9. For the frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter and confectioner’s sugar.
10. Spread the icing evenly and enjoy.