As a child there would be those mornings before school that were utterly chaotic. They meant rushing, Mom screaming, frantic permission slip signing, last minute diorama touch-ups, and Pop-tarts. Usually my mom wouldn’t let us near the processed snacks, but in times of haste and desperation, she’d give in. She’d go to the snack cabinet, open the cupboard and reach up to the shelf and grab that box we always saw on TV and treasured so dearly. We’d relish those sugary sweet, frosting coated jam infused bites that seemed more like dessert then breakfast. Being late and a little stressed certainly had it’s perks.

Still against the process sugariness, I decided to make my own version. While it takes a little more effort then opening an aluminum package, they’re ten times tastier and flakier, and you can fill and frost them with whatever you’re craving. Play scientist and try variations, some jam, some Nutella, some peanut butter —go nuts. If you wake up early and feel like being a homemaker, make the pie crust yourself. If not, no problem, a pre-made pie dough will do too.

Pop-tarts

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Homemade Pop-tarts

*for homemade pie crust recipe click here

About this recipe: It’s your opportunity to make your favorite childhood breakfast treat. Except these are better because you can fill them with whatever you want. And they’re made with real ingredients, not fake s’mores icing.

What you need:

Pre-made pie crust
Jam/jelly of your choosing
1 egg
1 cup powdered sugar
Milk
Sprinkles

What to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. Roll out your pie crust dough, then use a knife to cut squares of equal size. Not feeling squares? Do another shape.
3. Spoon jam onto half of the squares.

Pop-tarts

Photo by Amanda Shulman

4. Place a non-jam covered half on top and press with your fingers to seal.

Pop-tarts

Photo by Amanda Shulman

5. Use a fork to make the lined indentations in the edges of the pop-tart.
6. Beat the egg with 2 tablespoons of water and brush onto each rectangle, this is your egg wash and will make them brown and shiny.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and cool until warm.

Pop-tarts

Photo by Amanda Shulman

8. Gradually add milk to your powdered sugar until it’s just spreadable, but not too thin! About 1 tablespoon. Add food coloring if you care for color.
9. Frost the tarts, decorate withs sprinkles, then let cool until the frosting has set.
10. Revel in the goodness of your homemade creation.

Pop-tarts

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Check out another homemade Pop-tart recipe here.