Eugene doesn’t have its own Little Italy for its residents to enjoy, but that doesn’t mean you can’t create the taste of Italy in your home—without breaking the bank or ruining your carefully planned schedule. This spaghetti sauce is crazy simple and will impress just about anyone. Whether you pair it with red wine for a date night or enjoy the whole pot yourself (we won’t judge!), this is one for the recipe books.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes (unless you let your sauce simmer longer)
Total Time: 45 minutes

Servings: 7 large bowls

1 lb. ground hamburger (can substitute ground turkey or eliminate altogether)
Two 15-oz. cans of tomato sauce
One 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes (can substitute for fresh if available)
1 can tomato paste
¼ cup brown sugar (loosely packed)
¼ red wine (Merlot is great with this)
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
½ large white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 package of spaghetti noodles
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper

1. In a large pot combine both cans of sauce, tomatoes and paste. Heat on medium-low.

sauce

Photo by Judy Holtz

2. In a non-stick skillet, sauté onions and garlic in red wine until tender and golden.

sauce

Photo by Judy Holtz

3. Add the ground meat in small increments to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and cook until brown. When finished, drain and add to sauce along with red wine, Italian seasoning, thyme, oregano and basil. Stir well.

sauce

Photo by Judy Holtz

4. Stir in the brown sugar. You can add more or less depending on how sweet you like your sauce.

sauce

Photo by Judy Holtz

5. Let the sauce simmer, stirring every few minutes or so. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes.

sauce

Photo by Judy Holtz

6. Into another pot of boiling water (with 1 teaspoon of salt), add the package(s) of noodles and cook for about 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain the noodles and stir into sauce.

sauce

Photo by Judy Holtz

7. Serve and buon appetito!

sauce

Photo by Judy Holtz

Tip: For an even simpler sauce, put ingredients in a crock-pot and let them cook all day. You know, so you can catch up on Game of Thrones.