Being home for the holidays has been great: you got to replace your gross shared apartment bathroom for a spotless bubbly tub, there’s free food (duh) and if you’re like me, you can be reunited with pets, AKA the best Netflix binge partner around. But, being home for the holidays means that it’s freezing, probably sleeting, and all you can think about is when your next warm moment will be. For most of us, that moment is Spring Break.

So I got to thinking… How can I pretend I’m already on a beach vacation from the comfort of a well-heated room in January? Let me tell you, my friends, these babies are the answer. Compact, high in alcohol content, and tasting like a vacation, these margarita Jell-o shots combine the ratchet lifestyle of being a university student with the classiness of an actual cocktail. Enjoy (but not too many – I may or may not have learned that the hard way).

margarita

Watermelon Margarita Jello-O Shots

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:2 hours
  • Total Time:2 hours 5 minutes
  • Servings:25 servings

• 2 cup chilled tequila of choice
  • 2 cup non-alcoholic margarita mix
  • 4 sachets unflavored gelatin
  • 25 shot cups
  • 1 box watermelon Sour Patch Kids (optional)

Combine packets of gelatin with margarita mix in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Photo by Jane Madden

Take mixture off heat and add chilled tequila.

Let the mixture cool to room temperature, while prepping shot cups with sour watermelon candy.

Photo by Jane Madden

Pour cool mixture into cups.

#SpoonTip: Make sure the mixture is cool enough that it wont melt the candy.

Photo by Jane Madden

Chill in refrigerator for a few hours (or overnight) and get ready to party.

#SpoonTip: Try to find shot cups with lids for optimal storage stacking.

Photo by Jane Madden