This is an exquisitely cheesy, healthy, homemade soup that’s perfect for the cooking challenged. If you can’t prepare this, there is probably no hope for you. On the bright side, the odds that you can’t pull this one together are slim to none.

Five ingredients. One pot. Thirty minutes. I believe in you.

This broccoli cheddar soup has been adapted and college-ified for your ease from Gimme Some Oven. Here is the original.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Servings: 4

3 cups vegetable stock
2 cups frozen, pre-chopped broccoli florets
1 small white onion (approx. 1 cup chopped)
1 15-oz. can of 2% evaporated milk
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar (I recommend you shred your own)
Optional spices: Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste
Optional toppings: croutons, Greek yogurt, extra cheddar

soup

Photo by Theo Lee

Directions:

1. Chop onion finely.

soup

Photo by Theo Lee

2. In a 3-quart saucepan (or bigger), stir together vegetable stock, broccoli and onion.

soup

Photo by Theo Lee

3. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture begins to boil.

soup

Photo by Theo Lee

4. Reduce to medium-low heat and cook until onions are tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
5. While vegetables are cooking, shred your cheddar. If you don’t have a cheese grater, never fear – finely chopping the cheddar will work just fine. Just don’t use the pre-shredded kind as it won’t give you nearly as much flavor.

soup

Photo by Theo Lee

6. Stir in evaporated milk. If desired, stir in Dijon mustard.

soup

Photo by Theo Lee

7. Heat for another 3-5 minutes or until mixture has begun to simmer, stirring as needed.
8. Remove from heat and gradually stir in cheddar.

soup

Photo by Theo Lee

9. Top with your desired toppings. If you decide to get fancy (and delicious) and make your own croutons for the soup, find out how here. (Hint: it only requires cubed pieces of bread, olive oil, salt and pepper).

soup

Photo by Theo Lee

10. Revel in the cheesy goodness of homemade soup.

soup

Photo by Theo Lee