Thick and syrup-y margarita mixes are the last thing we want in our glasses this summer, but many people who are unfamiliar with crafting tequila beverages default to these because they are unsure where else to start. Tequila is one of the most exciting spirits to experiment with, but after you discover which type you prefer, it’s all about using ingredients that highlight the spirit you’ve chosen. Whether you prefer your drinks to have notes of citrus, sweetness, or heat, my best advice for you is to use simple ingredients and don’t over complicate your recipes. So here are the best two-ingredient tequila drinks that will make you feel like a tequila aficionado in no time.

Paloma (Tequila & Grapefruit Soda)

This sweet and tart classic cocktail is a perfect choice for a summer cocktail. I prefer this recipe with a mild silver or blanco tequila, and the swap of grapefruit soda instead of grapefruit juice and sparkling water makes this recipe even easier and adds a bit more sweetness that makes this a truly refreshing summer beverage.

Mexican Mule (tequila & ginger beer)

I’ve never been a big fan of vodka, so the Mexican Mule is one of my favorite drinks to order at the bar. With a bit of lime juice or a lime wedge to garnish this beverage, this well-balanced recipe is a must-have in your tequila menu repertoire.

Tequila Sunrise (tequila & orange juice)

This classic recipe is known for its colorful layers, this fruity drink is just the thing to sip at your next summer cook-out. The Tequila Sunrise uses the bar staple grenadine in addition to the orange juice for the sweet red layer, but it pairs perfectly with tequila and is a great cocktail for beginner drinkers and at-home bartenders that will still impress in a glass.

Tequila Espresso Martini (tequila & iced espresso)

With the launch of Cafe Bustelo’s line of iced coffee hitting grocery store shelves this summer, this recipe will please espresso martini lovers and highlight the rich roasted flavor of a classic coffee blend. The two strong flavor profiles complement each other, and it's a nice option for those who don’t enjoy a fruity or citrus-forward cocktail.

Pineapple Margarita (tequila & pineapple juice)

Just because we’re not using premade margarita mixers in this list, it doesn’t mean we can’t have margaritas! Using pineapple juice and your choice of tequila, this recipe works with most tequila variations, and can even be garnished with tajin or chili powder rim to add some spice to the sweetness of the pineapple juice.

Spicy Lemonade (tequila & lemonade)

Another sweet and spicy concoction on our list, the Spicy Lemonade is a refreshing summer treat for those of us in the 21+ crowd. Using a garnish of sliced jalapenos will elevate this two-ingredient recipe into what your guests will think is a craft cocktail, either on the rocks or blended.

Watermelon Margarita (tequila & frozen watermelon)

While this recipe requires a blender, it is one of my all-time favorite make-at-home tequila beverages. Using cubes of frozen watermelon that you’ve prepared ahead of time, just blend with your tequila and a bit of lime juice for a sweet and tasting frozen margarita. I like to top mine with a bit of mint, but it’s not needed to enjoy this amazing marg recipe.

Baby Stout (tequila & Irish cream liqueur)

The Baby Stout features Patron XO Cafe, a blend of Patron Tequila with the natural essence of Arabica coffee. Using this tequila with Irish Cream liqueur creates a smooth and sweet tequila cocktail that would be a great choice for a dessert cocktail at your next dinner party. 

#SpoonTip: Drinking can be fun, but be responsible. Spoon does not promote binge or underage drinking. Stay safe!