Thought to have originated in Tunisia, this egg and vegetable stew is a staple dish across North African and Middle Eastern countries (and is a prime example of the vegetable-heavy Mediterranean Diet). The sole sources of fat in this dish are olive oil and egg yolks, ranking it pretty low on the cholesterol scale.

Load it with as many veggies as you want (some Spinach variations are popular) although the most basic version includes tomatoes, hot peppers and onions. I added a green bell pepper and carrots because that’s what I had in my fridge, but chickpeas would probably complement the flavors nicely too. Instead of using whole red peppers or pepper flakes I busted out my harissa, a North African paste made with chili peppers, garlic and oil. You can find it at a speciality food store or in the Mediterranean aisle at Wegmen’s.

All in all, this recipe is inexpensive, super-simple, super-healthy and versatile enough that you can serve it when you have guests over for brunch or if you need a dinner-for-one kind of recipe. Enjoy with some mint tea and maybe a slice of lemon olive oil cake for dessert.

Easy

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes

Servings: 2-3

1 medium carrot
1/2 bell pepper
1/2 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 medium tomatoes
3 eggs
1 teaspoon of harissa or chili flakes (modify according to taste)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

egg

Photo by Jeanne Kessira

Directions:

1. Dice the carrot, bell pepper, and onion. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Dice tomatoes, collecting the juice.
4. Add onions, bell pepper and carrot and sauté until the vegetables start to soften.

egg

Photo by Jeanne Kessira

5. After about 5 minutes, add the harissa (or chili flakes) and garlic and briefly sauté.

egg

Photo by Jeanne Kessira

6. Add tomatoes and water, reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
7. Crack the eggs directly into the stew and cover for about 5 minutes, until the egg yolks set.

egg

Photo by Jeanne Kessira

8. Serve hot, sprinkled with fresh herbs and feta (optional).

egg

Photo by Jeanne Kessira