The color orange is everywhere this fall. From jack-o-lanterns to the fallen leaves, it’s impossible not to associate orange with the crisp air of a Midwestern fall. And if you’re anything like me, you are looking for a warm snack (other than the pots of coffee or tea I’ve been downing to stay warm) to make in a hurry. Well, look no further because this recipe is about to blow your mind.

Not only are sweet potatoes amazing and nutritious snacks/meals, but these savory sweet potatoes literally taste like candy. Hello delicious and nutritious dessert.

Easy

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Total time: 25-30 minutes

Servings: 1-2

1 sweet potato (big or small depending on how hungry you are)
3 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil
2 dashes of cinnamon
Honey

1. Choose a sweet potato to your liking. I like to buy my sweet potatoes from my Iowa City Farmer’s Market, so you may want to check out your local farmer’s market to support your farmers AND get a good deal on sweet potatoes.
2. Preheat your oven to 405°F.
3. Cut the sweet potato into discs with 1/2 inch thickness.

sweetpotato1

4. Place pieces on a cooking sheet and drizzle olive oil or coconut oil over the top of the pieces. Always look for UNREFINED coconut oil and olive oil so that you actually get the nutrients from the oils. The biggest mistake that most people make is buying and using refined oils, because they are intaking the calories from the oils without getting any of the nutrients, and who wants to take in 100 plus calories without any health benefits?

Sweet Potato3

5. Cook the sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes in the oven while watching them to make sure they do not burn. You should take out the sweet potatoes once they start to have little brown specks on the top  like the picture above (perfecto!).
6. Use a spatula to transfer the sweet potato bits into a bowl while they are still hot, and shake cinnamon over them. Once they have cooled for about 5 minutes, drizzle honey over the top.

Sweet-Potato-Chips-with-Cinnamon
7. Eat and enjoy the savory sweet potatoes!

Looks like I know what I’m making for dessert tonight. Who wants to join me?