Veggies aren’t everyone’s idea of comfort food, and they certainly haven’t always been mine. When I was little, I wasn’t much of a vegetable eater. In fact, I hardly ever touched the array of roasted veggies that my mom cooked for dinner every night. As for my family’s epic Thanksgiving buffet, I skipped over the veggie section entirely. With turkey and mashed potatoes in the lineup, why waste precious plate space?

pasture, vegetable, pumpkin, squash
Luna Zhang

In middle school, when my adventurous foodie side emerged, I came to realize that vegetables aren’t always a waste of space. After watching my mom sauté, simmer, steam and roast veggies night after night, I found myself questioning my automatic rejection of those colorful, healthy foods.

So I started tasting: first squash, then eggplant, zucchini, fennel and so many others. I memorized my mom’s rules for foolproof, flavor-packed cooking: olive oil, salt and pepper, and loads of fresh herbs. Before I knew it, I was actually looking forward to eating veggies.

vegetable, courgette, zucchini, cucumber, squash
Sophie Rodosky

Now, I crave them—most often the wholesome, roasted autumn veggies that my mom makes on chilly days including, of course, Thanksgiving. They’re simple, fresh and soul-warmingly good. When I think of these warm, herb-dusted veggies, I think of home, of a glowing oven and a meal shared with family. By that standard, as crazy as it might seem, roasted veggies have become one of my favorite comfort foods.

Fall Roasted Veggies

• 1 medium eggplant cubed into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 medium or 4 small zucchini quartered and cubed into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 small or 1 large bulb fennel thinly sliced
  • 1/2 a medium-sized red onion diced
  • 1/2 a medium butternut squash peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or basil or thyme
chicken
Sophie Rodosky

Cut the vegetables and preheat the oven to 425°.

eggplant, vegetable
    Sophie Rodosky

Place the veggie pieces in a resealable plastic bag, drizzle with the olive oil and shake until evenly coated with oil.

vegetable
    Sophie Rodosky

Spread the veggies evenly on a jelly roll pan or large baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

vegetable, pepper, carrot
    Sophie Rodosky

Bake at 425° for 30 minutes, until the veggies are slightly soft and beginning to brown.

Sprinkle the veggies with the chopped herbs and serve warm or at room temperature.

vegetable, pepper, onion, tomato
    Sophie Rodosky

No matter how you've felt about veggies in the past, I hope you'll give these a try. They just might be the Thanksgiving comfort food you didn't know you were missing.