A few months ago, when I was studying abroad in London, I was first introduced to parsnips.

“My best friend and I are going to roast parsnips together over Skype!” This odd exclamation from my flatmate prompted my eyebrows to raise in a mixture of bemusement and intrigue. Question one: what on earth is a parsnip? Question two: why are you roasting them together…over Skype?

The parsnip, I soon found out, is like the progeny of a potato and carrot. It’s starchy and satisfying when roasted and can be the ultimate comfort food. Apparently, parsnips are also an edible bond to your best friend. Once I had a taste of my friend’s roasted parsnips, I understood why she would go to such great lengths to roast them with a friend. America may have shoestring fries and sweet potato fries, but England has a thing for parsnips and I love it.

You can find parsnips in most grocery stores in the U.S. They’re just as good and dippable as fries, but a bit lighter and more nuanced than a regular old spud. Luckily, they’re just as easy to prepare.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Servings: 2

4 large parsnips
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Start by peeling each parsnip, as you would with a carrot.

roasted parsnips

Photo by Maggie Gorman

2. Slice each parsnip lengthwise, cut each slice in half, and then slice each piece lengthwise again until parsnips are about the size of French fries.

roasted parsnips

Photo by Maggie Gorman

3. Toss parsnips in a large bowl with oil, salt and pepper until evenly coated.

roasted parsnips

Photo by Maggie Gorman

4. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping parsnips after 10 minutes, until evenly browned and soft when pierced with a fork.

roasted parsnips

Photo by Maggie Gorman

5. Serve with ketchup or condiment of your choice, or just enjoy plain.

roasted parsnips

Photo by Maggie Gorman