When I first told people that I was moving to the UK, they would tell me how lucky I am that there's no language barrier. English is English, right? Wrong. If you've ever gotten lost and had to ask for directions from a Glaswegian person, you'll know what I mean. A dinnae ken what ye're sayin, sir.

Obviously, my number one priority upon arriving in Scotland was to figure out what food names were different. 'Aubergine,' or 'Eggplant' to North Americans, was the first word that I learned. This Roasted Aubergine with Paprika Yogurt Dressing was inspired by the dish that I ordered at a local cafe. Upon arrival of the dish, I discovered that aubergine was not a type of mutant vegetable, but rather a common eggplant. Ah, memories.

This vegan dish takes less than 30 minutes and 5 ingredients to prepare. It's perfect for those Monday nights when you can't be bothered to cook after class. As the Scots would say: it's bonny.

Roasted Aubergine with Paprika Yogurt Dressing

• 1 aubergine
  • 2 tbsp slivered toasted almonds
  • 1/4 cup plain soy yogurt
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil
chocolate
Jody Brimacombe

Preheat the oven to 240°C

Using a sharp knife, slice the aubergine in half. Drizzle olive oil on to each half of the aubergine, then place on a baking sheet, skin-side down. Roast for 20-25 minutes

sweet
    Jody Brimacombe

While the aubergine cooks, prepare the paprika-yogurt dressing. In a small bowl, combine soy yogurt, paprika, and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste

sweet, chocolate, cappuccino, cream, milk, espresso, coffee
    Jody Brimacombe

Remove the aubergine from the oven. Top with paprika-yogurt dressing, slivered almonds, and pomegranates

pizza, almond, chocolate
    Jody Brimacombe

This recipe can easily be customised. Add chopped green onions for a fresher flavour, or sub the yogurt for Parmesan cheese if you're not vegan.

Have leftover aubergine? Not a problem. Check out this Roasted Eggplant and Goat Cheese Panini for a delicious way to clean out your fridge.