4th of July recipes aren’t always known for being wholesome. From hot dogs to potato salad to assorted Cool Whip creations, much of the standard holiday bites will leave you feeling stuffed and sluggish in the summer heat. This fruit tart, adapted from Oh, Ladycakes, is simply made from nuts, fruits and nothing more. It’s the best way to have your dessert and not go overboard. Best of all, you can whip it up without turning on the oven or hovering over a hot stove. You can even prepare most of the elements, including the cream filling, in advance and add the fruit just prior to serving! All you’ll need is a food processor (or very strong blender) and a pan.

Medium

Prep Time: 4 hours (hands off)
Cook Time: About 30 minutes
Total Time: About 4 hours 30 minutes

Servings: 12

1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked
1 1/2 cups almonds
16 pitted dates
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1 cup blueberries
Shredded coconut, to garnish
Lemon zest, to garnish

Photo by Natalie Van Brunt

Directions:
1. Cover your cashews in water and allow them to soak for at least 4 hours.
Tip: You can prep the day before. I just let the cashews sit in my fridge overnight.

Photo by Natalie Van Brunt

2. To make the crust, place your almonds in a food processor and churn away until they reach a fine, mealy consistency. Add 10 of your dates and process until the mixture combines.

Photo by Natalie Van Brunt

3. Press the mixture into a tart or pie pan and set in the freezer until you’re ready to fill it.

Photo by Natalie Van Brunt

4. Drain your cashews from the water and place them in the food processor. Add the almond milk, vanilla, lemon juice, salt and the remaining 6 dates. Process until very smooth. Store in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the tart.

5. To assemble, pour the cashew cream into the crust and spread evenly toward the edges.

Photo by Natalie Van Brunt

6. Top the cream with the strawberries and blueberries, then sprinkle the shredded coconut and lemon zest on top. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Photo by Natalie Van Brunt