When I first moved to Manhattan, Kansas, there were a lot of new places and things to try in the town itself and at Kansas State. One thing to try is So Long Saloon's raspberry black bean dip. Here are eight simple steps for So Long Saloon's raspberry black bean dip at home.

Whether it's participating in the Wabash at K-State games, hiking on the Konza prairie or enjoying Aggieville with good friends, Manhattan has many great opportunities to offer for students to simply enjoy the local atmosphere of the town.

Raspberry Black Bean Dip

• 1 15-ounce can black beans loosely rinsed and drained
  • Pinch each salt and black pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2/3 cup diced red or white onion about half an onion
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 5 Tbsp raspberry sauce or jam
  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • Cilantro for topping optional
  • Chips or crackers for serving
beans, chili, black beans
Samantha Albers

Preheat oven to 400° F (204° C)

Samantha Albers

In a small saucepan, heat beans along with cumin and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Once warmed, taste and adjust seasonings and set aside.

coffee, beans, cereal
    Samantha Albers

Add olive oil to a 10-12 inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Stir. Cook until soft and fragrant (about five minutes), stirring frequently.

vegetable, rice, salt, onion
    Samantha Albers

Add garlic and cook for two more minutes. Add to a mixing bowl with cream cheese and stir.

vegetable, cereal, rice, risotto, saute
    Samantha Albers

Remove skillet from heat and add cream cheese-onion mixture back to the skillet. Place in the center and make a well (or spread evenly for more distribution).

chocolate, cream, cake, sweet
    Samantha Albers

Add beans around the outside or on top of cream cheese. Pour raspberry sauce or jam in the center.

cake, chocolate, raspberry, cream
    Samantha Albers

Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top (optional but recommended). Bake for 12-15 minutes or until warmed and bubbly. Cheese should be melted.

cheese, beans
    Samantha Albers

Remove from oven and top with additional cheese and cilantro (optional). Serve immediately with chips or crackers.

chili, cheese, beef
    Samantha Albers

Important Side Notes:

This recipe serves six to eight people (if you are willing to share).

You can swirl everything around before serving to combine flavors, or let people scoop into it with chips and get a bit of each ingredient.

Leftovers can keep covered and refrigerated for several days — just reheat in the microwave or oven.

chicken, oil
Samantha Albers

This recipe is a sure and easy way to enjoy one of the most famous dishes made in Aggieville. By following these eight simple steps for So Long Saloon's raspberry black bean dip at home, you can enjoy the dip from your own couch.