Going to the dining hall for breakfast before an early class can be a hassle, so it's great to have key ingredients on hand and simple breakfast recipes to make in your dorm room. Many students may opt to skip breakfast before an early class; however, having a breakfast that is both filling and satisfying can make a big difference in your energy level throughout the day. Why get up earlier for an 8am to go to the caf when you can make a quick (and healthy!) breakfast in your dorm room with no rush? Here are some quick and healthy breakfasts that will keep you full and happy for your early classes.

1. Oatmeal

Many may view oatmeal as a very simple breakfast; however, oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts to make in my dorm room because it’s so versatile. While you may love oatmeal on its own, oatmeal can be made so much more exciting if you add different kinds of your favorite toppings. Almost any topping or fruit is enjoyable with oatmeal. Personally, I love adding banana, berries, coconut flakes, and almond butter for the extra protein. Oatmeal is easy to prepare in a dorm room and can even be cooked in your microwave. Not only is oatmeal a great breakfast option because it will keep you full and energized throughout the day, but it’s also an excellent option because oats are rich in antioxidants and provide a great source of fiber.

Caroline Featherston

2. Rice cake 'toast'

If you miss having toast in the morning try rice cakes as a toast alternative. It can often be difficult to store bread in your dorm room and it never tastes as great when you can’t toast it. Rice cakes have a much longer shelf life than bread and are a tasty and healthy alternative to toast. Make your meal with rice cakes more exciting by adding your favorite spreads and toppings. If you’re looking for something sweet, peanut butter and banana is always a great combination in my opinion. You can even add cinnamon and a drizzle of honey to make it even more delicious. If you’re in the mood for something more savory, add some avocado. Roasted snack chickpeas are a great complement to avocado and also add protein. Whether you prefer sweet or savory, rice cakes are a great choice because they don’t take long and are just as tasty as toast.

Caroline Featherston

3. Yogurt Parfait

Yogurt is a sweet, but quick and healthy breakfast that you can grab to eat on your way to class. Yogurt is not always the most filling meal, but adding protein and your favorite toppings will make it a much more satisfying meal. I personally like adding granola and blueberries to my yogurt. Not only will granola add protein to your breakfast, but the extra crunch makes the taste all the better.

Caroline Featherston

4. Fruit

Fruit is always a great quick and healthy choice for breakfast. However, having just an apple on the way to class is not always the most filling or nutritious breakfast. When I just have an apple for breakfast, I usually wind up hungry 20 minutes later and craving something more substantial. Adding almond butter or peanut butter to your fruit adds the protein that will give you the energy to carry you through the morning. Almond butter or peanut butter will complement your fruit and make them taste even better.

5. Overnight recipes

In my opinion, overnight breakfast recipes are some of the most ideal breakfasts for busy, on-the-go college students. Overnight oats can be made by simply adding your favorite kind of milk to your oats and then leaving them to refrigerate overnight. If you’re in a rush in the morning this is a great option because there is no preparation required in the morning, and you can eat your breakfast on your way to class. If you love hot oatmeal and are looking for an alternative overnight recipe, chia pudding is another delicious option. Similar to oats, chia seeds are a great source of fiber, but they also provide omega-3 fatty acids, which have many nutritional and health benefits. Chia pudding can be made by simply mixing milk, chia seeds, any toppings or fruits, and then refrigerating overnight. Both overnight oats and chia pudding are delicious recipes that you can quickly grab in the morning and even have many nutritional benefits.

Caroline Featherston

All of these breakfast options are ideal for the busy, hectic life of a college student. They are easy to make in a dorm room without a full kitchen and do not require many ingredients. These delicious breakfasts will be the perfect start to your day.