As a strong advocate for classic recipes with a vegan twist, I was a huge fan of this recipe when I stumbled across it. Not only is it packed with yummy ingredients, it also lacks the ingredients that some people just can't eat. The best thing about basic oatmeal chocolate chip cookies is that no matter what the recipe says, it is always easy to make it your own! For example, add some walnuts for a nutty crunch, or raisins for a sweet surprise. So for this vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe, switch it up and go crazy!

Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup vegan butter cold such as Earth Balance
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 6 tablespoons almond milk or any non-diary milk
  • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or sub raisins for oatmeal raisin cookies
  • Optional:
  • 1/2 cup craisins
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut or more if you're feeling cocoNUTS!
Emma Filkowski

Preheat your oven to 350° and lightly grease a baking sheet (or use parchment paper). In a large bowl, incorporate flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.

Emma Filkowski

In a medium sized bowl, incorporate vegan butter, white and brown sugar, and vanilla extract. It could be helpful to use a beater to mix the butter and sugars together, but I was fine with just a rubber spatula.

Emma Filkowski

Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix together, then add the chocolate chips. The vegan butter can make the dough a bit dry, so thats where the almond milk comes in. Add it by tablespoons until the dough is a nice consistency. This is where you can also add additional ingredients to make the cookies more exciting ( I chose to add coconut flakes and craisins). If you do this, you may need to add extra milk. As I said above, just add it by the tablespoon until the dough looks like cookie dough!

Emma Filkowski

Scoop dough into about 2 tablespoon sized balls and align on the greased cookie sheet. I believe my rendition of the recipe made about 2 cookie sheets worth, so depending on what types of ingredients you choose to add, have another cookie sheet ready!

Emma Filkowski

Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes. The cookies will have spread but should still look almost raw. The underside of the cookies should come out a golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet to let them rest. Enjoy with your favorite non-dairy milk (I recommend coconut milk!)

Emma Filkowski