Between winter, COVID, isolation, and finals, I’ve been craving a lot more sweet treats and comfort foods lately to try to warm up my soul in these dark times. Here’s a few of my favorite single-serve desserts for when you’re hungry for some tasty treats. Featured below is a chilled dish, something hot and fruity, and a chocolate/nutty hug in a mug. Enjoy!

Chocolate PB Banana Nice Cream

cocoanibs, nicecream, Healthy, cocoa, banana, healthybreakfast
Nicole Burnett

If you’re craving something frozen but want something a little healthier, try making nice cream! Simply combine 1 frozen banana with 1/2 cup dairy-free milk of your choice, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, and a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup. Blend well and top with chocolate chips!

If you have some extra time on your hands, try making some frozen banana treats! Follow the recipe from the photo above or try my version: first peel a banana and slice into small circles, combine 1 tablespoon peanut butter with 1 tablespoon yogurt of your choice. I’d recommend plain or vanilla, my favorites are foragers and The Collaborative’ s dairy-free unsweetened yogurt. Mix well and dip the banana slices in peanut butter. Pop in the freezer to chill for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt about 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate chips. Dip the banana slices in the melted chocolate and then put back in the freezer for about an hour, then you have a healthy and tasty dessert! 

Self-serve Apple Crisp or Apple Pie

Mackenzie Laverick

This dessert takes a bit more work but is so worth it. Chop one apple into cubes, coat with half a tablespoon of maple syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon. Toss and place in a large mug or ramekin. Crumble together 1/3 c oats with 1 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar and a sash of salt. Place on top of apple mixture and microwave for five minutes or bake in the oven at 350F for fifteen to twenty minutes. You can also try out this recipe for mini apple pies (featured above)! I baked these in muffin tins which worked great. 

Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake

Mackenzie Laverick

For this dessert recipe I mashed a banana in a mug, added a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of vanilla, a dash of salt, and a tablespoon of GoodGood’s Choco Hazel spread (aka the better version of Nutella in my opinion). Microwave on high for 2 minutes. I sprinkled some extra chocolate chips on top as well! This recipe comes out closer to brownie batter than a mug cake, so if you want a more cake like texture add a tablespoon or two of flour. 

Mackenzie Laverick

This Choco-Hazel spread was sent to me as a sample and trust me when I say it’s so good! I’m not a Nutella person but the creamy blend of chocolate and hazelnut completely works in this mixture and I love how it’s not too sweet. Check out GoodGood’s webpage for the product info and to see what other great things they sell!