Over the past few months, this Quarantine Recipe: Healthy Crunchy Granola  has been a staple in my family for quick morning breakfasts!  Sprinkle on top of your favorite yogurt bowl, smoothie bowl, or eat it plain with your milk of choice. Making granola at home just got so much easier!

Healthy Crunchy Granola Recipe

• 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 ½ cup raw nuts and/or seeds your choice almonds pecans peanuts cashews walnuts pumpkin seeds sunflower seeds pepitas etc
  • tsp table salt
  • tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • cup melted coconut oil
  • cup maple syrup or honey or agave
  • cup nut butter peanut butter or almond butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • cup dried fruit dried cranberries or raisins
  • Optional additional mix-ins: ½ cup chocolate chips or coconut flakes
Isabel Acosta

Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat

In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, maple syrup/honey/agave and vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and nut butter. Mix well until equally combined.

Add in the oats, nuts and/or seeds and mix well until every oat and nut is lightly coated.

cereal, oatmeal, granola
    Zoe Malin

Pour granola onto prepared pan and use a large spoon to press and spread it in an even layer

chocolate
    Alex Tom

Bake for 20 minutes and then remove from the oven and rotate the pan so that the other end goes into the oven first. This ensures an even bake.

To keep the granola chunky, do not stir during baking or after it is removed from the oven. This will help it form together and create “chunks.”

cereal, granola
    Lauren Kaplan

Bake for 10-15 minutes more, keeping an eye on it to make sure the granola does not burn. You’ll know it’s done when the granola is golden brown and very fragrant.

Let the granola cool completely undisturbed for at least 45 minutes. Top with the dried fruit and other optional mix-ins like the chocolate chips and coconut flakes. Break the granola into clusters with your hands if you want to retain big chunks, or stir it around if you don’t want extra-clumpy granola.

pecan, cereal, granola, sweet
    Spoon University

Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks, or in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer for up to 2 months.

Enjoy your homemade granola sprinkled on top of yogurt, a smoothie bowl, oatmeal, or in a bowl with your favorite milk. Get creative with it, you can't go wrong with this Quarantine Recipe: Healthy Crunchy Granola!

granola, oatmeal, muesli, banana
Tara Shooshani
granola, muesli, yogurt, cereal, honey
Jaime Wilson

Now that you've got the base recipe down, you can really get creative and cater this recipe to your favorite flavor combinations. I love trying different nut and seed combinations and even like adding a teaspoon or so of cocoa powder to give the granola a rich chocolatey flavor. The next time you're at the grocery store think twice before buying those high-sugar, high-calorie granola brands, and instead try out this Quarantine Recipe: Healthy Crunchy Granola. 

Notes:

Make it gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free oats

Make it nut-free: Use seeds, like pepitas or sunflower seeds