Turn on your oven right now. Now light some candles, turn on some tunes, and get ready to bake the ultimate fall pumpkin spice cookie. 

These cookies are a twist on your classic chocolate chip cookie. They're full of pumpkin, the star of the fall vegetable scene, plus essential autumn spices. Although they might look daunting to make, they're really just regular cookies with some extra spices and pizzazz. At least, that's how the recipe came about! I had leftover pumpkin and knew that pumpkin could act as a partial butter replacement in baked goods. I swapped pumpkin in for some butter, added sugar and spice, and then opened the oven to a tasty aroma and even tastier cookies.

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup softened vegan butter
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Ellie Haun

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Then cream together the softened butter, pumpkin, and sugars.

Ellie Haun

Add in the water and vanilla.

Ellie Haun

Beat the mixture, in a stand mixer or by mixing rapidly by hand, until it is light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes.

Ellie Haun

Mix in the flour one cup at a time. Then mix in the baking soda, salt, and spices until the batter is just combined.

Ellie Haun

Fold in the chocolate chips. More is better!

Ellie Haun

Roll the cookies into one inch balls on a cookie sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes. Flatten the cookies when they come out of the oven by slamming the pan hard down onto the counter once or twice. Let cool, then enjoy!

Ellie Haun

These pumpkin spice cookies are a sweet way to celebrate the beginning of #pumpkinspice season. So what are you waiting for? Get baking!