I’m not sure when the cut-off is for pumpkin season, but I think it’s still socially acceptable to be consuming pumpkin spice-flavored goods in December. I may not be an avid PSL drinker, but I do love pumpkin bread. This pumpkin scone recipe combines aromatic pumpkin spices with pure maple syrup flavor to create a winter treat that no one will be able to pass up, even if they claim to be a pumpkin spice hater. 

I was originally inspired to make these pumpkin scones after finding a recipe from one of my favorite food blogs, the Brown Eyed Baker. After making some adjustments of my own, I finally perfected this recipe — here it is! 

Pumpkin Scones with a Maple Glaze

• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream chilled
  • 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Jen Gouchoe

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet with butter, or line it with parchment paper.

In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices until combined. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles course crumbs.

Add the flour/butter mixture to a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Using a spatula, stir in the pumpkin and heavy cream. If need be, use your hands to shape the dough into a firm, round disk.

Sprinkle a large cutting board or clean countertop with flour and turn the dough onto the floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a circular disk that’s about half an inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 triangular pieces and transfer to the baking sheet.

Bake in oven until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

For the glaze: sift the confectioner’s sugar into a small bowl. Add the milk and maple syrup until the glaze reaches a desired consistency. Feel free to add more milk or confectioner’s sugar.

Using a pastry brush or spoon, spread the glaze atop the scones and enjoy!

There always seems to be an overwhelming selection of pumpkin spiced goods to choose from, but this pumpkin scone recipe is a must try. Pumpkin bread may seem like the ultimate pumpkin spiced treat, but these scones come in a close second — that is, if they don't already surpass pumpkin bread.

While pumpkin spice season is winding down, these scones are the perfect breakfast treat. Try making these for Christmas morning breakfast, alongside a nice cup of egg nog. This recipe truly never goes out of season.