Thanksgiving — with its excess of turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce galore — remains a few short weeks around the corner. Though everyone has a favorite Thanksgiving dish to vouch for, for many, pumpkin pie is an irreplaceable conclusion to an annual epic meal. Maybe, as you work through your Thanksgiving meal, some heavy breathing even escapes your throat as the anticipation for dessert gradually builds up.

Such are the effects of pumpkin pie.

Photo by Sarah Joh

But why wait until Thanksgiving to get your pie fix, when all foods around you have already tried to claim the pumpkin identity? The reality is that pumpkin as a flavor is no longer sacred to the Thanksgiving holiday, or to foods that even taste good.

Photo by Sarah Joh

Don’t settle for the pack of pumpkin spice Oreos when the real deal is no more than five short minutes away. While you slog through remaining midterms, essays and projects until the few days of respite and good food, tide over your pumpkin spice cravings with this easy, microwave version of pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin Pie in a Mug  

Adapted from Yammie’s Noshery

Easy

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 3 minutes

Total time: about 10 minutes

Servings: 2

Photo by Sarah Joh

¾ c canned pumpkin puree
¼ milk
1 egg yolk
¼ c sugar
¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla extract

1.  Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a medium bowl.

Photo by Sarah Joh

2.  Divide mixture evenly into two mugs or pour into a small bowl (make sure they’re microwave safe!).

Photo by Sarah Joh

3.  Microwave for 2 minutes and then an additional minute until the custard looks firm. Doneness can also be checked by inserting a knife into the center of the pie – knife should come out clean.

Photo by Sarah Joh

4.  Enjoy warm, right out of the microwave, or after chilling in freezer for a few minutes.