Apples, pumpkin, and cinnamon. In my opinion, these are the flavours of Fall. Combining these ingredients with fluffy pancakes makes this the ideal breakfast during this season. Every bite of these pumpkin pancakes will remind you of falling leaves, cozy sweaters, and a crackling fireplace.

Pumpkin Pancakes with Apple Compote

• 3/4 cup Pure Pumpkin Purée
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract for pancakes & 1/2 tsp. for apple compote
  • 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil + a little extra for the pan
  • 2 cups Milk 2%
  • 2 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 2-3 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 3 tbsp. Granulated Sugar for pancakes & 2 tbsp. for apple compote
  • Maple Syrup to serve
  • 2 Honeycrisp Apples roughly cubed
  • 2 tbsp. Butter unsalted
  • 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon + extra for garnish
  • 2 tsp. Water if needed
Carlie Tigley

For the pumpkin pancakes, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, pumpkin pie spice blend, salt, and sugar in a bowl.

Carlie Tigley

Add in the wet ingredients; milk, oil, vanilla extract, pumpkin purée, and the egg. Whisk all the ingredients together until the batter is smooth and there are no visible lumps.

#SpoonTip: If you want thinner pancakes, go ahead and add a little bit more milk to thin out the batter.

Carlie Tigley

Heat your pan to medium-low and grease it will a little bit of oil or butter. To get evenly sized pancakes each time, use a 1/3 or 1/4 measuring cup to scoop the batter. Cook the pancakes for 2-3 minutes on one side; look for bubbles forming and popping on the top and browning edges as an indicator for when to flip. Cook the other side for around 1 minute.

#SpoonTip: Do not flip your pancakes more than it needs to be flipped. This will deflate the pancakes and it will not be as fluffy.

Carlie Tigley

Take the pancake off the pan when both sides look golden brown and there are no signs of wet batter. Keep the pancakes warm by covering them with a tea towel or in the oven set to "warm."

Carlie Tigley

For the apple compote, add the butter, vanilla extract, and apples into a pan. Turn the heat to medium. When the butter is halfway melted, add the sugar and cinnamon to the pan. Mix everything together and reduce the heat to low.

#SpoonTip: You do not have to use Honeycrisp apples. Use any apples you have on hand.

Carlie Tigley

Let the mixture simmer for around 10 minutes, or until the apples have softened all the way through and all the butter and sugar have melted. The apples should be releasing some liquid themselves, but If the mixture seems too thick and sticky add 2 tsp. of water. The end product should have a slightly thick consistency, like the cooked filling of an apple pie.

Carlie Tigley

Serve the pumpkin pancakes with the apple compote. Top with maple syrup, extra cinnamon, some whipped cream, or dust on some powdered sugar. Enjoy!

Carlie Tigley

These pumpkin pancakes are an amazing breakfast treat on a cold, Fall morning. Also try switching out the apples for a mix of berries, such as blackberries and strawberries. The tartness of the berries can help balance out the sweetness of the maple syrup. Try out these Pumpkin Protein Pancakes for a healthier alternative.