Whether you’ve scaled the rock wall, ran on the treadmill, pumped iron, or did a few crunches, nourishment in the form of a post-workout snack is crucial. Refuel is imperative for the muscle and tissue repair, especially after a tough workout. I’ve done the research. Now all you have to do is the snacking. Here are some satisfying snacks that will help your body recover from your last trip to Pottruck:

Apple + Peanut Butter (fiber and natural sugar + natural fat and protein)

Post-Pottruck Power Snacks

Photo by Marykate Surette

There are few things in life more satisfying than a crunchy apple. And, what better way to balance its natural sweetness then to pair it with a spoonful of good peanut butter. When I say peanut butter, I don’t mean those brands with hydrogenated oils and added sugar. Go for an all-natural peanut butter that has the real and true ingredients.

Carrots + Hummus (vitamins + protein)

Carrots and hummus provide all the vitamins and protein you need post-workout. Buy mini carrot packs from Fro-Gro and pair with Sabra hummus in the zesty flavor of your choice. Their flavors range from roasted red pepper to luscious lemon to roasted garlic, and when smeared on carrots make for the perfect post-gym pick-me-up.

Greek Yogurt + Berries (calcium + natural sugar)

Post-Pottruck Power Snacks

Photo by Marykate Surette

Greek yogurt is nutrient dense and loaded with protein. Choose the berry or seasonal fruit  of your choice to balance the tanginess of the tart yogurt. Berries are an easy and fresh topping, as they don’t require any prep –  just wash and sprinkle on top of the yogurt for sweetness and texture.

Turkey + Cheese + Apple (protein + calcium + natural sugar and fiber)

Post-Pottruck Power Snacks

Photo by Marykate Surette

Protein is key in muscle repair; both sliced turkey and cheese can help your body get the job done. Low sodium turkey and low fat cheese taste just as good but are much healthier. With an abundance of different types of apples available year long, it’s easy to prevent boredom when you can switch it up. Feeling sour? Grab a Granny Smith. In need of a fix that will satisfy your sweet tooth? Go for a Fuji or Gala apple.

Trail Mix (protein + natural sugars)

Post-Pottruck Power Snacks

Photo by Marykate Surette

There are two different types of trail mix in this world: healthy trail mix and trail mix that tries but fails, or as I like to call it: fail mix. Trail mix loaded with chocolate and sugar-coated dried fruit shouldn’t be in the mix. Bode for trail mixes low in sugar with a variety of nuts and seeds. All you need is about a quarter cup. Like any meal, the best way to tackle your trail mix is to make it yourself. Pick a few, mix and enjoy: cashews, sunflower seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, dried apricots, raisins, craisins, dried blueberries or dried cherries. Nuts are packed with protein and healthy fats. Pair them with dried fruit for that quintessential mix of salty and sweet.

Peanut Butter + Rice Cake + Raisins (protein and healthy fat + fiber and carbohydrate + natural sugar)

Post-Pottruck Power Snacks

Photo by Marykate Surette

Crispy rice cakes, smooth peanut butter and chewy raisins make this snack a perfectly balanced bite. This snack is not only filling and tasty, but also easy to put together.

Banana + Almond Butter  (potassium and fiber + protein and healthy fat)

Post-Pottruck Power Snacks

Photo by Marykate Surette

Bananas are high in potassium, a natural cramp-fighter. Almonds are high in nutritional value. When eaten together, the flavors sing, each component offering its own natural sweetness to satiate a hungry stomach.

Tuna + Whole Wheat Crackers (protein + fiber)

Post-Pottruck Power Snacks

Photo by Marykate Surette

Use water-packed tuna and whole-wheat crackers for a nourishing snack. The tuna will keep you full till your next meal while the whole-wheat cracker offers fiber and healthy carbohydrates. Squeeze a little lemon juice, drizzle with a dash olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of black pepper for a gourmet twist.