For a college student, cooking can be intimidating and overwhelming. Braising, or the process of slow cooking meat in a broth or sauce, is an easy, cheap and fun way to prepare a delicious meal for a large group of people. Whether a full-fledged dinner party or weekend football gatherings, braised meat is a great way to please and amaze your guests without spending a lot of time or money. The following recipe is a classic and timeless example of the art of braising. These braised beef short ribs pair well with mashed potatoes and red wine or an ale.

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 3-5 hours
Total Time: 3 ½ – 5 ½ hours

Servings: 6

6 beef short ribs
3 large carrots
2 large sticks of celery
3 cloves garlic
1 large onion
1 bottle of red wine
2 cups beef stock
1 small can tomato paste
Salt
Pepper
1 cup olive oil
Herbs such as thyme, parsley, bay leaf
6 golden potatoes
1/2 cup milk
1 stick of butter

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Directions:

Beef Ribs:

1. Preheat oven to 300°F

2. Rub the short ribs with salt and pepper. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil at medium high heat and brown the short ribs. When the outside of short ribs are brown and crispy, remove from Dutch oven and set aside.

Meat + Seasoning

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Browned Meat

Photo by Kathleen Lee

3. Cut carrots, celery and onions into 1-inch chunks. Dice the garlic. In the already hot Dutch oven, add a little more olive oil and the cut vegetables. Once veggies are hot, add tomato paste and stir. Pick and dice herbs but don’t add yet.

Chopped Vegetables   Sage edited

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Chopped Vegetables

Photo by Kathleen Lee

4. After vegetables have browned and softened a bit, add the short ribs. Add the entire bottle of red wine into the Dutch oven. Now add the herbs and bring to a boil until the wine reduces by half.

Tomato Paste + Vegetables

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Wine

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Spices

Photo by Kathleen Lee

5. Keeping at a boil, add the beef stock. Cover and put in oven at 300°F for 3-5 hours.

Oven

Photo by Kathleen Lee

6. After 3-5 hours remove hot Dutch oven or pot from the oven. Serve in bowl on top of mashed potatoes.

Final 2 edited

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Mashed Potatoes

1. Boil water and add potatoes. Cook until soft, about 10 min.
  2. Remove potatoes and mash in bowl.
  3. Add milk and butter until creamy, thick consistency. Add salt to taste.