One of my favorite homemade gifts to give someone is a personalized chocolate bar tailored to their taste. Personalized chocolate bars are sold online for a pretty high mark-up. Seriously, it costs me maybe $5 to make a bar that would cost me at least $8 plus shipping from Chocomize.

It's super simple to make personalized chocolate bars with mix-in toppings customized to your friends' preferences. All you need is to temper some chocolate and add toppings before the chocolate sets. If you need to buy a mold, you can easily get one online. I prefer the plain chocolate bar mold from Confectionary House

The Necessities

chocolate, candy, sweet, cream, goody, milk, sweetmeat, cake
Susanna Mostaghim

There are obvious ingredients for personalized chocolate bars. The first of which is chocolate. If you have a vegan friend it might be a bit difficult, but don't worry, PETA has a definitive guide on vegan chocolate

#SpoonTip: Use dark or white chocolate for your bars. Milk chocolate is really finicky and results in a battle of wills (which I generally lose).

Additional ingredients are just whatever mix-ins and toppings you'd like to use. It's important to choose ones that go well with chocolate and are easy to use. I have my preferences for different chocolates. I really like lemon-lavender or rosehip-hibiscus with white chocolate. However, the dark horse combo of dark chocolate with bacon and potato chips is on fleek.

Equipment-wise? All you really need to temper your chocolate is a pot, bowl, and mixing implement (like a spoon or whisk). If you don't have a stove to temper chocolate you can use your microwave a la Alton Brown, or a hair dryer.

After tempering, you just need a mold to pour your chocolate in and a freezer. Make sure you mix in anything you want before you pour it in and then add your toppings before you stick it in the freezer.

Personalized Chocolate Bars

• 12 oz chocolate
  • Toppings
  • Mix-ins
chocolate, dairy product, milk, cake, cheese, candy
Nala Chehade

Heat water in a pot and create a double boiler with your bowl. Add half of your chocolate and melt.

chocolate, coffee, cream, milk, tea, espresso
    Nala Chehade

Remove chocolate from heat and add reserved half of chocolate to melt. This helps cool down your chocolate a little.

chocolate, sweet, candy, milk, coffee, truffle, milk chocolate
    Nala Chehade

(Optional) Add any mix-ins you want to your chocolate as you prep it to pour into your molds.

meat, vegetable, sauce, pork, bacon
    Nala Chehade

Pour chocolate into molds and distribute it evenly. Tap to set.

chocolate, sweet, milk, coffee, candy, cream
    Nala Chehade

Cover in any desired toppings.

chocolate, candy
    Nala Chehade

Freeze for 10-15 minutes. When you remove it from the freezer the chocolate should separate easily as it will shrink while setting.

chocolate, cake, fudge, chocolate cake
    Nala Chehade

Enjoy.

cream, cheese, cheesecake
    Susanna Mostaghim