The “Pappardelle ai Funghi Porcini” is one of my favorite pasta dishes. It’s the perfect, elegant plate to present on a special occasion. The sauce is light and flavorful and the mushrooms add a wonderful, meaty texture. Though there are many variations to this dish, most add white wine to the mushroom sauce to compliment the porcini flavor perfectly. If available, try this recipe with a bit of truffle oil to add an amazing aroma and a unique flavor to an already incredible dish. Bring out the candles, and with this meal, it’ll be a night to remember.

Buon Appetito, Ragazzi!

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 45 mins

Servings: 2

7 oz of Pappardelle pasta or Tagliatelle
2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup dried porcini mushrooms (equivalent to 1 packet found at Whole Foods)
2 tablespoons chopped shallots (or onions, if shallots are not available)
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups Beef Broth
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley (optional)
1/2 cup grated parmesan
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
1.  To rehydrate the mushrooms, place them in a bowl with two cups of water and let them soak for about 15 minutes.
      Tip: They are ready when they are soft, have changed shape, and are moist.

2. Drain the water and wash mushrooms as you would with lettuce. (Since mushrooms grow in the ground, they can be very dirty. As you drain the water, you will see the dirt you are removing.)
3. In the microwave, heat the beef broth for about a minute.
4. Remove from microwave and add the mushrooms to the beef broth.
5. While the mushrooms are marinating, heat butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Lower heat if butter begins to boil or brown.
6. Once butter has melted, add the garlic and shallots.
7. When garlic begins to brown, add white wine to pan and bring to a simmer.
8.  Add the beef broth (without the mushrooms!) into the pan and let simmer, stirring occasionally.
9. When the sauce has been reduced to half the original amount, add the mushrooms, and lower heat.
      Tip: The sauce should be thick enough to lightly coat the pasta. If you feel like your sauce is too thick, add some water to the mixture.
10. While mushroom sauce is setting, boil a pot of water and add pasta.  Cook until pasta is al dente.
11. Drain pasta and add it to the pan with the mushroom sauce.  Toss pasta in pan, coating it in sauce. (Optional: add about 4 tbs of truffle oil to the pasta in this step)
12. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the parmesan and chopped parsley.