After eating at Berkeley Social Club multiple times, I fell in love with its smoked salmon eggs benedict. From the perfectly poached egg to the salmon and avocado combo, Berkeley Social Club's dish inspired me to create this paleo eggs benedict recipe. 

Danielle Chen

With an artful combination of smoked salmon, avocado, egg, and hollandaise sauce, this take on paleo eggs benedict retains the original Berkeley Social Club feel, while adding a healthy twist.

Paleo Smoked Salmon and Avocado Eggs Benedict

• 1 cup cooked rice
  • 1 egg
  • pinch salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • pinch salt
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 slices smoked salmon or enough to cover the face English muffin
  • 1/2 avocado
Danielle Chen

Assemble all ingredients.

Danielle Chen

The English muffins will be made out of 1 cup cooked rice, 1 egg, 1 tsp oil, pinch of salt, black pepper, and curry powder (optional).

Danielle Chen

Place English muffin ingredients into a bowl. Mix until well combined.

Danielle Chen

Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat pre-greased with oil. Cook for about 2 minutes and flip. Cook again for about 1 minute.

Danielle Chen

The hollandaise sauce will be made out of one egg yolk, butter, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper.

Danielle Chen

Over a pot of hot water, whisk together 1 egg yolk with lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper.

Danielle Chen

Continue whisking for 2 to 4 minutes until the egg yolk mixture thickens and turns a light yellow.

Danielle Chen

Take sauce off of heat and add in small portions of butter. Whisk until butter is well combined. Continue alternating between adding butter and whisking until well-combined. Taste and season the finished sauce as needed.

#SpoonTip: if the sauce is too thick whisk in 1 tbsp of hot water at a time until sauce is at the desired consistency.

Danielle Chen

To poach eggs, boil 4 cups of water in a pot. Crack eggs into bowls. There should only be one egg per bowl.

Danielle Chen

Once the water reaches boiling point, add in vinegar and swirl water in a circular motion.

Danielle Chen

While water is still swirling, pour a raw egg into water. Cook for 2 minutes.

#SpoonTip: leave it in for longer for more cooked egg or take it out earlier for a runny yolk. With a slotted spoon carefully take out poached egg. Place egg on paper towel to rest.

tea, coffee
    Jessy Kauffman

To assemble, place English muffins on a clean plate. Add on some sliced avocado and then slices of smoked salmon. Carefully place one poached egg on each English muffin. Spoon on hollandaise sauce. Garnish and dig in!

Danielle Chen

This paleo eggs benedict is a more adventurous and time-consuming dish. However, this recipe is bound to impress friends and family. Poaching the egg may be the hardest part of the recipe, but you can find tips on how to poach the perfect egg or even make one in the microwave. Learn more about the paleo diet and lifestyle with these easy food swaps, and meal prep recipes.