My dad is a French toast fanatic, so we’ve experimented with a lot of variations on this breakfast classic. A few days ago, we ran out of crusty French bread (his old stand-by), so we used the only loaf we had hanging around. To my entire family’s great shock, it was the best French toast we’d ever eaten.

The unexpected delight: pretzel bread.

french toast

Photo by Emma Noyes

Just look at that golden-brown goodness. Oh, baby.

french toast

Photo by Emma Noyes

The recipe below makes four pieces of French toast. But when your family inevitably wanders into the kitchen and sees your masterpieces, you’ll need to double it. Or triple it. Whatever.

Now go make some of this right now. The all-seeing French Toast Eye is watching.

french toast

Photo by Emma Noyes

Pretzel Bread French Toast

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes
  • Servings:4 slices

• 4 slices of pretzel bread
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • A dash of vanilla
  • olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • 2 strawberries, sliced
Photo by Emma Noyes

Slice the pretzel bread at a 45 degree angle, in order to get the longest slices possible.

Photo by Emma Noyes

Combine egg, milk, and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk lightly with a fork until well mixed together.

Photo by Emma Noyes

Pour olive oil into pan big enough for frying.

I used about 1/4 cup, but the amount you use depends on the size of the pan. Just make sure you use enough for there to be about a half inch of oil covering the bottom.

Photo by Emma Noyes

Once the oil is warm enough that it sizzles when you place the bread into it (this may take some trial-and-error), soak both sides of the pretzel bread in the egg, milk, and vanilla mixture.

Photo by Emma Noyes

Place the bread in the pan. Use a fork to move it around periodically so it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Let it fry until the underside is crispy and golden-brown, then repeat on the other side.

Photo by Emma Noyes

Remove from pan and pat down thoroughly with a paper towel. Slice strawberries into four equal slices per berry, and lay them across 2 slices of the French toast.

Photo by Emma Noyes

Finish by sprinkling on powdered sugar or maple syrup. Enjoy.

Photo by Emma Noyes