Everyone knows the phrase, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away,” and you probably aren’t surprised that there is truth to this old adage. Apples are one of the healthiest fruits, with a multitude of health benefits. Not only are apples a delicious and sweet treat, but they are also fibrous, full of vitamins and flavonoids and help to reduce cholesterol levels and risk of skin diseases. And if you ever feel like incorporating apples into your meal, there are endless recipes and countless ways to use apples. Get your daily dose of apples every day without ever getting bored by trying these four easy recipes.
Cinnamon Baked Apples
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 large apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
3 1/2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.
3. Layer about 1/3 of the apples in a baking dish and sprinkle with the cinnamon and nutmeg mixture. Repeat twice.
4. Bake the apples for about 30 minutes. Pour water over the apples and continue baking until tender, about 15 minutes.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1/4 cup butter
4 large tart apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a large skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples. Cook, stirring constantly, until apples are almost tender, about 6 to 7 minutes.
2. Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to skillet. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve warm.
Try this recipe from our friends at Northwestern.
Apple Pie Smoothie
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
2 (6-ounce) containers vanilla or plain yogurt
1/2 cup pumpkin pie filling
1 banana (sliced)
2 apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
1. Combine the yogurt, pumpkin pie filling, banana, apples, cinnamon and nutmeg in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into glasses and serve.