There’s a reason why the best desserts are a balance of savory and sweet and this recipe echoes this sentiment. Just as you were getting bored of ordinary chocolate chip cookies, this recipe brings together Nutella and coarse sea salt, a taste combination that elevates your palette. Fit for a party, study break or snack, these Nutella-stuffed chocolate chip cookies will revamp your understanding of an old classic. And the best part about this baking process is the aroma of the browned butter.  Tip: The more browning the better! The more browning, the more developed flavors you will get.

Medium

Prep time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes or until edges turn golden brown (cook time will increase proportionally if cookies are larger)
Total time: 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minute
Servings: 16 large cookies

2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg and 1 large egg yolk
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup dark chocolate chips
1 jar of Nutella, chilled in the freezer for ½ hour
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling

FogNutellaCookies1

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

Instructions:

1. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until combined and set aside.

FogNutellaCookies2

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

2. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.  Eventually, the butter will start to foam.  Whisk consistently throughout this process.

FogNutellaCookies3

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

FogNutellaCookies5

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

3. After about 5-10 minutes, the butter will begin to brown at the bottom of the saucepan.  Continue to whisk and remove the pan from heat when it begins to brown.  Transfer the butter to a large bowl to prevent burning and set aside to cool.

FogNutellaCookies6

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

4. With a mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in the egg and egg yolk (one at a time) and then vanilla and yogurt simultaneously until incorporated.
6. Gradually add the dry ingredients from step 2 to the mixture until smooth.

FogNutellaCookies14

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

7. Gently fold in all of the chocolate chips.

FogNutellaCookies15

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

8. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Chill dough and Nutella in the freezer for ½ hour.
9. Roll 1 ½ tablespoon of dough into a ball and flatten it very thinly onto a buttered cookie sheet. Continue to do this with the remaining dough and place the dough circles inches apart from each other.

FogNutellaCookies16

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

10. Place ½ tablespoon of chilled Nutella in the middle of half of all the flattened dough balls.

FogNutellaCookies17

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

11. Place a circle of cookie dough on top of a dough circle with Nutella in order to make a sandwich.  Crimp edges to seal.

FogNutellaCookies18

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty

12. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.
13. Sprinkle with sea salt and let cool on wire racks.

FogNutellaCookies21

Photo by Mei Lan Fogarty