In the enchanting world of Hayao Miyazaki’s Studio Ghibli films, each hand-drawn frame is packed with beautiful scenery and mischievous characters. Amidst the action-packed plots are tranquil scenes dedicated to the preparation and enjoyment of Studio Ghibli comfort food. Characters are seen meticulously slicing vegetables, stirring bubbling soups, and painstakingly assembling bento—Miyazaki connects food with comfort and warmth, emphasizing the love behind each animated action. Studio Ghibli’s nostalgic homage to home-cooked meals has actively contributed to my love for cooking, allowing me to appreciate the beauty and simplicity that comes from creating meals.

In appreciation of Hayao Miyazaki’s beautiful food animation, I decided to prepare my take on several Studio Ghibli comfort foods from three different films. In photographer Casey Dai’s cozy, sun-lit kitchen, and gentle Studio Ghibli instrumentals playing, we laid out the ingredients and began our cooking journey.

Howl's Moving Castle

We began with a breakfast recipe from Howl’s Moving Castle. In this scene, Howl drops thick slices of bacon into the hot pan and cracks six eggs over an open flame. Divvying the eggs and bacon onto three plates, the characters all dig into the steaming meal with gusto. Though domestic scenes like this are often mundane, the ease of Howl’s actions in the kitchen and the characters' reactions prove otherwise, suggesting that cooking meals is what Howl normally does for the people he cares for.

Casey Dai

We followed Howl’s actions, and adjusted our methods using Sylvia Wakana’s recipe. First, I crisped up thick-cut bacon on a hot skillet, with a splash of balsamic vinegar for acidity. I then cracked three eggs, egg whites solidifying immediately in the rendered bacon fat. Lastly, I finished off the dish with a crack of pepper, a dash of black garlic, and finely chopped chives.

Casey Dai

Paired with a hunk of sourdough, the umami bacon with the rich egg yolk delighted our taste buds. It disappeared in a fraction of the amount of time it took to prepare.

Casey Dai

#SpoonTip: Blot excess oil from the bacon with a paper towel before adding the eggs to keep them from absorbing excess grease.

Spirited Away

Secondly, we recreated a meal from Spirited Away. Ongiri, or Japanese rice balls with various fillings, are a common breakfast or lunch that can be taken on the go. In the scene from Spirited Away, our protagonist, Chihiro is stuck in a strange land without her parents, rife with demons and spirits. Haku, the only friend she’s made in this foreign world, hands her some onigiri and tells her to eat. As Chihiro bites into the rice ball, she starts to sob as she finally allows herself to collapse and be comforted in the company of someone who cares for her.

Casey Dai

Adapted from Just One Cookbook’s recipe, we created our own version of comforting onigiri. First, we added soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil to jasmine rice to create a fragrant rice mixture. For the interior, we used the tuna mayo filling from the original recipe but included sriracha and chopped green onions for spice and freshness. We also cooked a flat egg pancake, cut it into small pieces to place with the tuna mixture, and added pieces of umeboshi (pickled plum) for a sour contrast.

Casey Dai

Finally, we assembled four identical onigiri, all garnished with furikake and wrapped with seaweed. As we bit into them, we felt the same quiet and comfort that Chihiro experienced when consuming the hearty meal.

Casey Dai

#SpoonTip: It's a great idea to invest in an onigiri mold, which ensure quick, identical rice balls and easy cleanup every time!

Ponyo

Lastly, we switched from food to drinks with the hot honey milk from the Studio Ghibli film, Ponyo. During a huge thunderstorm, Ponyo, an undersea creature, reunites with her best friend Sosuke, a human boy. To comfort the two children during the electrical blackout, Lisa, Sosuke’s mother, prepares two mugs of hot honey milk. Safe from the raging storm outside, Ponyo and Sosuke sip with contentment as they enjoy the warmth from both the hot milk and a mother’s love.

Casey Dai

Following Sylvia Wakana’s recipe, this simple drink only requires four ingredients: milk (we used almond milk), honey, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Simmered over low heat, the honey milk was ready in under five minutes. Served in a pair of cozy mugs, we slowly sipped the sweet beverage as the heat of the mugs warmed our fingertips.

Casey Dai

After completing our journey into Studio Ghibli’s many dishes, we came away with a greater admiration for these scenes within the films. Although we only recreated three popular Studio Ghibli comfort foods, there are endless others that'll appeal to the tastes of any avid Studio Ghibli fan. Every animation boasts a collection of beautifully animated meals—each intricately drawn frame is perfectly crafted to evoke themes of nostalgia and serenity that keep Director Miyazaki’s films timeless and enjoyable.