I'm always on the lookout for new, no-hassle meals to make, so when I saw #FetaPasta circulating my "For You" page for the fiftieth time in the past two weeks, I caved.

This pasta dish garnered up nearly 550 million views under the FetaPasta hashtag, all thanks to Mackenzie Smith of @grilledcheesesocial on TikTok. However, the popular recipe originates from Jenni Hayrinen, a Finnish Blogger; the recipe was such a hit that in 2019, it even caused a feta shortage in Finland.

Unfortunately, the same craze is still at its peak in the States, so when I hit the grocery stores in search for the tangy cheese, the shelves were bare: leaving me to improvise. Behold, baked goat cheese pasta.

Baked Goat Cheese Pesto Pasta

• Black Pepper to taste
  • Red Chili Flakes to taste
  • Paprika to taste
  • Salt to taste
  • Garlic Powder to taste or 3-4 cloves
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 to 3 cups grape tomatoes
  • 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 3 tablespoons pesto
  • 2/3 cups goat cheese
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese to taste
  • Pasta choice
pesto, pasta, spinach, basil, chicken
Sarah Spiro

Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.

cook, Kitchen, stirfry, stove, Fire, Restaurant, Cooking, skillet
    Alex Frank

Carefully lay out the your vegetables (tomatoes and mushrooms) in a flat, oven-safe dish of choice. Leave the middle of the dish empty. Place goat cheese block in the center of the dish. Cover the ingredients with olive oil and honey. Add seasoning as you see fit: black pepper, red chili flakes, paprika, salt, garlic powder (or cloves).

Patricia Tan

Bake for 40-45, until the cheese has browned nicely, and tomatoes are about to burst (moisture has left).

farm, cherry tomato, tomato, pasture, vegetable, cherry
    Caroline Ingalls

While the dish is baking, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente (a minute or two before the box's instructions). Save around one cup of pasta water.

oil
    Amanda Savarese

Remove dish from oven, and add spinach. Mash and mix the goat cheese and tomatoes. Add the pasta and reserved pasta water. The consistency should be slightly watery, add more as needed. Mix well. Add the pesto, and parmesan and mix again; at this point, the water should bind the pesto and cheese to the pasta. Additionally, feel free to add more parmesan and spices as you see fit. Personally, I'm a sucker for extra cheese and garlic powder.

vegetable, spinach
    Kathleen Lee

Plate, serve and enjoy!

Patricia Tan

This creamy, tangy, goat cheese baked pasta dish is a great addition to your college meal repertoire. It requires only a few pantry staples and an oven, also, it's hassle-free. Best of all? It's customizable to what you have available in your kitchen. Want to add some protein? Grill some up your protein of choice (chicken, shrimp etc.) on a pan and toss it into the dish. Want to add more spices? Toss in some fresh parsley at the end. Don't like goat cheese? Try halloumi or even feta. Additionally, feel free to pair this dish with warmly toasted bread, whether it be garlic bread or a nice dinner roll. 

Whatever you choose to customize your pasta with, make sure to share with your roommates (and/or family).

Happy cooking!