Who doesn’t love a sweet, buttery and gooey rice krispie treat? They are good year-round, but in my household, we usually enjoy them during the holidays with a warm festive drink. After many attempts to craft a flawless rice krispie treat recipe, I’ve finally found the one that has the perfect ratio of gooeyness from the marshmallow to crunch of the cereal. This recipe is extremely easy and fun to make— and when I say easy, I mean half the recipe is essentially just waiting for the treats to set. Let’s get started!

There are five simple ingredients needed for this recipe.

Maggie Chen

1) Rice Krispies Cereal – What’s a Rice Krispie without the signature crispy cereal?

2) Butter – As the base of the treat, you will need ½ cup of butter, which is 1 full stick of butter.

3) Marshmallows – To make the treats extra marshmallow-y, you will need two bags of 10 oz mini marshmallows. The smaller sized marshmallows make it easier to melt than the larger marshmallows.

4) Vanilla Extract – This is optional, but I find that it makes a huge difference. It enhances the taste of the treat and differentiates a great rice krispie treat from a good rice krispie treat. ½ teaspoon will be enough.

5) Salt – Like everything else, balance is essential. Salt is optional as well, but it definitely adds to the flavor. A pinch will do.

Steps:

1) In a large saucepan or pot, melt one stick of butter over medium heat. Continuously stir the butter to prevent the it from burning.

Maggie Chen

2) Once the butter has liquefied, add in the two 10 oz bags of mini marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted.

Maggie Chen

3) Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat completely. Now, add in the ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Fold in the cereal and make sure that every single piece is coated nicely with the marshmallow mixture.

Maggie Chen

4) Transfer the mixture to a disposable aluminum tray or a lightly greased baking dish (9x13 inches) lined with parchment paper. Press down gently on the mixture to secure it into the pan but not too hard or else the treats won’t be airy.

5) Leave the treats out and let them harden for an hour at room temperature.

6) After an hour, cut the rice krispie treats into whatever your hearts desires—squares, rectangles, or even Christmas shapes using cookie cutters.

Maggie Chen

These delicious rice krispie treats are the perfect addition to your holiday meal, and they’re good for up to 3 days if stored at room temperature! Enjoy!