Mint chocolate chip is one of those flavors that’s not quite classic but not quite modern. It’s too nostalgic to be a flavor of the twenty-first century, but it’s too refreshing and novel to be your traditional chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Mint chocolate chip has been my go-to ice cream flavor my entire life, and nothing tastes more indulgent than a scoop of creamy, minty goodness with cold chocolate chips folded in.

mint, chocolate, cone, dairy, dessert, scoop, icecream
Josi Miller

While some (including my friends) argue that mint chocolate chip ice cream tastes like toothpaste or mouthwash, fans of this flavor will always love it for its balance of sharp with sweet. In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, here are ten mint chocolate chip recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth and add a minty spring in your step.

1. Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

If you’re looking for a simple recipe to ease you into the wonderful world that is mint chocolate chip, you’ve found it. This recipe only uses seven ingredients, one of which is a Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix, as well as your typical baking supplies like butter and chocolate chunks.

#SpoonTip: If you want to skip the artificial food coloring, a golden cookie with chocolate chips and crème de menthe baking chips is just as delicious. 

2. Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes

Like the last recipe, this one is affordable and delicious on a hot summer’s day. All it takes is some chocolate cake mix for the base, store-bought mint chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate chips, and whipped topping, which you can substitute for vanilla ice cream or skip altogether.

3. Mint Chocolate Chip Shake

Another simple recipe for any time of the year (especially days with higher temperatures) this milkshake calls for six ingredients and will be healthier than a McDonald's Shamrock shake for sure. Garnish with fresh mint and use green food coloring if desired, but even if you skip that step you'll still get a delicious, easy-to-make shake using milk, vanilla ice cream, chocolate chips, and all-natural peppermint extract.

4. No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

If you’re feeling adventurous after making a milkshake, why not make actual ice cream next? This recipe calls for no churning and all-natural ingredients such as whipping cream, condensed milk, and peppermint extract, and looks like an exact replica of Blue Bell Mint Chip ice cream.

5. Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake

Now that you’ve mastered making ice cream, why not make it into a cake? An ice cream cake such as this one is basically just ice cream on a chocolate crust, layered with whipped cream and ganache. If you want, you can even use the previous recipe for mint chocolate chip ice cream to make the ice cream filling, though the two call for the same ingredients in different quantities.

6. Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies (From Scratch)

I couldn’t help but include another recipe for mint chocolate chip cookies, only this one is made from scratch. Don’t be intimidated by its long list of ingredients, though – this recipe follows your usual baking instructions and makes 20 large cookies that will be totally worth it. You can even substitute the type of chocolate chips used (this recipe uses dark chocolate), and throw in crème de menthe or white chocolate chips to make the recipe your own. 

7. Mint Chocolate Chip Truffles

If you’re more in the mood for confections than baked goods, this recipe is for you. Truffles aren't much more than butter, sugar, and condensed milk covered in chocolate, making them easy gifts or an indulgent dessert.

8. Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies

An inverted version of the usual mint chocolate chip cookies, this recipe uses a chocolate base mixed with mint chips that creates a more chocolate-y experience. It looks just as delicious, if you ask me — and a great option for those who are iffy about minty flavors. 

9. Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes

These pancakes may look unusual, but they taste delicious. The best part is that if you make some extra batter, you can add your favorite pancake fillings and toppings into the mix and go all-out on breakfast.

10. Mint Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies

For the final recipe, this mint chocolate chip whoopie pie is the perfect sweet treat to enjoy during afternoon dessert with coffee, or to take to an office party. The pie part is essentially a soft chocolate cookie that cane be reused later or enjoyed by itself, and the mint buttercream filling can easily be substituted for any of the mint chip ice cream recipes above. 

With a flavor as versatile as mint chocolate chip, the possibilities for mixing and matching this iconic duo is endless. These recipes are perfect for enjoying any time of the year, but especially St. Patrick's day — when you want a little extra green in your life.