I have been gluten-free for almost two years, and I always enjoy facing the challenge of finding or making gluten-free food that tastes just as delicious as all that other glutenous goodness. Though some foods are impossible to mimic with a gluten-free version, there are plenty of tasty, gluten-free recipes out there.

If you have a sweet tooth like me, and you are trying to follow a gluten-free diet—be it because you have Celiacs Disease, have a sensitivity, or are doing it for health reasons—try out this recipe to see how easy it is to make a gluten-free chocolate soufflé that will impress your friends at your next dinner party.

This chocolate soufflé is perfect because it only has a ten minute prep time. You can even make the batter beforehand, fill your little jars, and leave them in the fridge for up to an hour before baking. Add anything and everything because honestly, what doesn’t pair well with chocolate? As if it couldn’t get any better, these babies are each under 180 calories, so feel free to have more than one.

Mini Gluten-Free Chocolate Soufflés

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes
  • Servings:4-5 servings

• 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch cream of tartar
  • 3 tablespoon milk of choice
Photo by Allie Lutin

Preheat your oven to 375°F. Coat four to five 4-oz oven-safe containers (like a ramekin or a mason jar) with butter. Sprinkle some sugar around the dish so it is completely coated with the butter and sugar.

Set those aside and place your butter, milk, and chocolate chips into a stove-safe bowl.

Photo by Allie Lutin

Fill a small pot with water so that the water is 1-2 inches from the bottom. Bring the water to a boil, then take it off of the heat. Place the bowl with your butter, milk, and chocolate chips on top of the pot and continually stir until everything is combined. Then, add your egg yolks and whisk the mixture together. Set aside to cool.

Photo by Allie Lutin

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form. Then slowly add in the sugar until stiff peaks form.

Photo by Allie Lutin

Next, add the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg white mixture and fold them together until they are well combined.

Photo by Allie Lutin

Finally, fill the dishes with the batter and place them on a parchment-lined tray. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.

Photo by Allie Lutin

Once the soufflés are done, dust them with some powdered sugar and garnish with fresh berries. You can also add a variety of other toppings. Serve right away while they are still warm and fluffy.

Photo by Allie Lutin