If you can’t wait until Thanksgiving to get your homemade apple pie fix but the idea of rolling out dough in a dorm kitchen seems daunting, try this easier single-serve version. Layer store-bought crust, fresh apples and Cinnamon Toast Crunch in cupcake tins for a quick and inexpensive way to indulge in warm, gooey pie goodness before the holidays.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
10 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoons butter
3 cups cinnamon toast crunch cereal
1 pre-prepared pie crust (Recommended: Pillsbury)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare two cupcake pans with liners.
2. Peel the apples, remove the cores, and dice to small cubes.
3. In a large bowl, combine apples, flour, sugar, spices, lemon juice, and butter.
4. Place one cup of cereal into plastic sandwich bag. Crush into small pieces.
5. Split pie crust into 24 approximately equal parts. Flatten into discs.
6. Place one disc of crust into every cupcake liner. Press it down so that it covers the bottom entirely and some of the side.
7. On top of the crust, add a layer of crushed cereal. Then, spoon the apple mixture into liners and top with remaining cereal.
8. Bake for 1 hour. Serve warm, with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.