College dorms are not exactly famous for the amount of stuff they provide. We get a bed, a desk with a chair, a couple of drawers and if you are lucky enough, even a fridge and a microwave. So, it's time to get creative and make a quick and delicious microwave pasta.

Microwave Pasta

• 1 microwave-safe bowl
  • 1 large microwave-safe plate
  • 1 microwave-safe lid to cover the bowl
  • 1 cup pasta
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper for flavor
  • Toppings your choice: sauce cheese etc.

Pour the cup of pasta into the microwave-safe bowl.

pasta, macaroni, spaghetti, carbohydrate, penne, wheat, tagliatelle, fettuccine
    Photo by Valentina Muñoz.

Add water (preferably hot) with salt and pepper to the bowl so the pasta is a couple of inches deep.

#SpoonTip: Since pasta swells while being cooked, adding too much water may cause it to spill when boiling. If you don't add the entire two cups of water, you can always add more.

soup, bread, cream, dairy product, vegetable, milk
    Photo by Valentina Muñoz.

Put the bowl on top of the large microwave-safe plate so if the water spills, it doesn't ruin your microwave and make the fuse of your house explode (it's happened before).

Place the plate with the bowl in the microwave for about 10 minutes. If you're impatient, you can cover the bowl with a microwave-safe lid to trap the heat and cook the pasta faster. Make sure you do not use plastic, as it may melt in the microwave.

soup, cream, broth, vegetable, bread, parsley, carrot
    Photo by Valentina Muñoz.

Check the pasta every 2-3 minutes by sampling a piece or two. Use a fork to avoid getting burned. If the microwave pasta is still hard and the water in the bowl is gone, add more water.

When the bowl is water-free, you can add any sauce or cheese of your choice. Return it to the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm up the toppings and then enjoy you delicious microwave pasta!

pasta, sauce, spaghetti, vegetable, macaroni, cheese, tomato
    Photo by Valentina Muñoz

You can accompany this microwaved pasta with a fried egg or even a desert such as a chocolate cake or a chocolate chip cookie, all made in the microwave. This kitchen hero is capable of cooking many delicacies (if you consider pasta a delicacy) and has even many other uses.