If you’ve looked outside your window in the past week, you’ve probably noticed that fall is upon us. The leaves are changing color, the air is cooler, and you can’t walk past a Starbucks without seeing ads for Pumpkin Spice Lattes. The past month as my dorm room got chillier, I began craving one of my favorite fall desserts: apple cobbler. 

However, with no oven in sight, I decided to create a dorm-friendly recipe for apple cobbler made completely in the microwave. This recipe is as simple as possible: it’s single serving, takes about ten minutes to make, and the majority of the ingredients can be found in a dining hall.

So stay in this weekend, put on some fuzzy socks, and enjoy the taste of fall from the comfort of your dorm room!

For the apple filling:

-2 apples (I like Granny Smith, but you can use whatever variety you prefer. This recipe is also a great excuse to go apple picking!)

-1 tablespoon cinnamon and sugar

-2 tablespoons butter

-1 tablespoon spice cake box mix (can be found in a local grocery store, and the extra mix can be used for mug cakes in the microwave. Here are some great mug cake recipes)

This apple filling is also delicious on oatmeal, pancakes, or mixed with ice cream.

Lauren Richards

For the crumble topping:

-3 tablespoons of granola

-1 tablespoon spice cake mix

-1 tablespoon butter

Extras:

Vanilla ice cream

Caramel sauce

Instructions

For the filling:

Lauren Richards

Step 1: Peel the two apples and dice them into small cubes (The smaller the pieces, the faster they will cook in the microwave).

Step 2: In a bowl or measuring cup, mix the cinnamon and sugar mixture and spice cake mix with the apples until the apples are evenly coated with the sugar mixture. Add the two tablespoons of butter and put the mixture into the microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Step 3: Take the mixture out of the microwave—be careful, as the bowl or measuring cup you use will be hot—stir, then microwave again for another 30 seconds. Tip: If the mixture seems too liquid, add another ½ tablespoon of cake mix and stir in before microwaving for the second time.

Step 4: Because microwave times can vary, try a piece of apple. If the apples aren’t tender, continue microwaving for increments of 30 seconds until the apples are soft and tender.

Step 5: Place the filling aside and cover with a plate to keep it warm.

For the topping:

Step 6: In a separate bowl, mix the granola with the spice cake mix. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the mixture and microwave it for 30 seconds.

Step 7: Remove the mixture from the microwave, stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds. Tip: If you would like a softer topping, decrease the amount of granola and increase the amount of cake mix. If you prefer a crunchier topping, increase the amount of granola and decrease the amount of cake mix.

Construction:

Lauren Richards

Step 8: Pour the topping onto the apple filling. If desired, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. 

Step 9: Enjoy!