Matcha has become quite the trend. You probably have heard about it and seen some vibrantly green menu items pop up at a local coffee shop, or in pictures on your Insta feed. Matcha is traditionally from Japan, and unlike regular green tea, it is made directly by taking the leaves and turned into a fine powder.

Because matcha is made from high-quality tea and the whole leaves are ingested, its health benefits are greater than that of green tea. It’s full of vitamins and minerals, but matcha’s real claim to fame is its antioxidant content. With more antioxidants than spinach or blueberries, matcha helps protect against disease and strengthen your immune system.

And because matcha is made directly from the leaves, there is three times as much caffeine than a cup of steeped tea. As told by matcha aficionados, the caffeine buzz from matcha is more stable, calm, and longer lasting than that of coffee. So basically, you get the caffeine boost, but you skip the crash.

All that being said, matcha pancakes are the perfect way to combine a morning caffeine fix and a favorite breakfast food while feeling extra #trendy.

Matcha Pancakes

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:12 pancakes

• 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
Photo by Katie Zizmor

Combine flour, baking powder and matcha powder in a bowl.

Photo by Katie Zizmor

In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg with sugar, and pour in milk gradually. Whisk until smooth.

Photo by Katie Zizmor

Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl. Mix until combined.

Photo by Katie Zizmor

Heat griddle on low heat, use butter or spray unless using a non-stick pan (duh). Use a ladle to pour softball size pancakes. Once bubbles appear on the surface of pancakes, it’s ready to flip.

Photo by Katie Zizmor

If you’re feelin’ extra fun and fresh, add some fresh berries and coconut crisps on top.

Photo by Katie Zizmor