While ferociously and single handedly battling a sore throat, runny nose, painful cough, and two wonderfully miserable midterms, a really great friend of mine shared his mother, Mama Wang's, tea recipe, to help beat any cold.

This recipe has truly changed my life forever. 

It was around midnight on a Tuesday when my friend said, “Hey, can I make you some tea?”

Beyond grateful, I quickly replied with an “Absolutely."

This response was then followed with a quick run to the local convenience store where we were able to pick up all of the necessary ingredients.

Mama Wang's Wellness Tea

• 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon minced or sliced ginger
  • 1 packet tea any tea choice is ideal
  • 1 cup hot water
Jack Riina

Bring one cup of water to a rolling boiling

water, beer, iced water, ice, glass, water cup

While the water is boiling, combine the honey, brown sugar, ginger, and packet of tea in a medium sized mug.

nectar, sweet, honey, honey dipper
    Sam Jesner

Once the water has come to steady boil, pour the water into the mug with the rest of the ingredients.

tea
    Mackenzie Huggins

With all of the ingredients together, take a spoon and give the tea a quick stir.

coffee, espresso, milk, tea, cappuccino, cream, chocolate, hot chocolate
    Julie Lau

Now that the ingredients have been combined and the tea is completed, Enjoy!

coffee, tea, beer, sipping, Drinking, cozy, bed, warm, Morning, mug
    Caroline Ingalls

Not only does this recipe taste great, soothe any sore throat, and open a stuffy nose, but it also offers a great dose of ginger which is one the best superfoods for curing and preventing colds and flus.

For over 2,000 years, ginger has been prescribed as one of the most effective forms of medicines. Throughout this time, ginger has been known to have properties capable of taking on health issues ranging from nausea to heart conditions. 

Ginger's secret to fighting the flu or common cold are in its antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. In simplest terms, it's a power house herb that soothes lungs and rids the body of toxins to help you get over a fever and headache. 

This home remedy is the perfect mix of sweet and spicy. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as I do.