If you follow any food trends on social media, you may have heard of Japanese Omurice before. Beloved for the satisfyingly silky omelet that falls to the sides of a bed of fried rice when sliced open, this dish is as addictive to watch as it is to eat. If you haven’t seen it yet, you can watch the energetic performance of Japanese sensation, Motokichi Yukimura who inspired me to try this recipe. He makes it look effortless. For all the egg lovers, you can make a dorm-ified version of this iconic dish, with the recipe below.

Warning: Chopsticks are essential to this recipe. You don't have to know how to hold them but you should have them.

Japanese-style Omelet Rice

• 250 grams uncooked rice
  • 3 cloves garlic finely minced
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 yellow pepper
  • 1/2 an onion
  • 3 stalks scallions greens and whites separated
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon ssamjang
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 2-3 eggs
  • Cream optional
MaryRose Soto

Wash your rice thoroughly, add a pinch of salt and cook as desired. Once it's done fluff it up with a fork and let it cool with the lid off or spread out on a tray.

While the rice cooks, chop your vegetables. I used a mix of peppers, onions, and garlic, but feel free to use whatever vegetables you have. The original NYT recipe calls for carrots and celery. I think corn and mushrooms are also great additions to fried rice.

MaryRose Soto

In a smaller bowl, mix together the ssamjang, ketchup, honey, and soy sauce. Alternatively, you could use a premade mix of fried rice seasonings. Set that aside.

In a frying pan, saute your onions until they are translucent, add white scallions, and red and yellow peppers. Once those have softened, add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.

MaryRose Soto

Lower the heat, coat the vegetables in the sauce mix, add the cooked rice to the pan, and mix until well combined. Cook for 2-3 minutes.

MaryRose Soto

Once everything has come together, dish one-third of the fried rice onto your plate. Use a large spoon or ladle to shape the rice into a football-shaped mound.

In a small bowl, whisk and salt your eggs well. The salt breaks down the protein in the egg and allows the white and the yolk to fully incorporate. If you have a sieve, you can strain your eggs through it, otherwise, I would recommend whisking for 2 minutes to ensure there are no streaks of egg whites.

With a clean frying pan on medium heat, prepare to make your eggs. When the eggs hit the pan you want to work fast and agitate your eggs. Shake the pan with one hand and move the chopsticks in the alternate direction in circular motions. The eggs should slowly form small, soft curds.

With a third of the liquid egg remaining, stop mixing and let a thin layer set at the bottom. Using a spatula, gently roll the omelet from the furthest point of the pan, on top of itself towards yourself.

When you have reached halfway, push the unfolded side (the side closest to you) toward the center to form a leaf shape. The most difficult part is here:
    roll the omelet over completely so that the joint seals shut. Leave on the heat for a few seconds longer.

Lay the omelet over the rice and gently slice through the first layer with a sharp knife. If you are successful, the egg should droop over the sides of your rice like a steamy custard blanket. If you're a beginner like me, you can use your knife to gently coax the eggs down the sides. Garnish with chopped scallions and enjoy!

MaryRose Soto

A few pointers:

Keep the heat low and be patient as you curdle the eggs — they will be done sooner than you expect. The longer your eggs cook and the harder it will be for the eggs to cascade down the rice. If you have trouble, I recommend working off the heat as you try to get it into shape.

The Results:

The combination of salty and velvety pillow-soft eggs with punchy fried rice sweetened by peppers is the best of both worlds. It's comforting and nostalgic with a twist. I think it would be a great shared meal with a big plate and spoons. I cannot overstress how much this dish needs to be eaten immediately because I can tell you on good authority that microwaved Omurice is not a good idea. Though it takes a bit of practice, this dish is excellent for any time of the day and can be a fun way to get dinner and a show!