Does it work? Does it taste bad? Making brownies with black beans is a simple and tasty twist to regular brownies.

Before trying this hack, I was very skeptical of it working. Brownies using only a box mix, a can of black beans and water seemed just too good to be true. To my surprise, they were delicious, and they didn't taste anything like beans.

When I rinsed and drained the beans, my entire kitchen smelled like black beans and even more so when I pureed them in the blender. I had no trouble mixing the beans with the box mix and half of a cup of water. I think that next time, I might just blend the beans with the additional water I added, that way the bean mixture isn't so thick. 

Looking at a bowl of brownie batter that consisted mostly of beans made me nervous for the outcome, so I decided to taste the batter. After all, there weren't any eggs, so I had nothing to fear. Before even being cooked the batter didn't even taste like beans in the slightest!

Once they came out of the oven, the first thing I noticed was that they looked like fudge, and they were very thin. The brownies appeared small but that did not really bother me. Once I cut them I was surprised how dense and moist they were. They tasted sweet and chocolaty; I would never guess that they were made with beans. 

Making brownies with black beans was something I had never tried before, and I was completely impressed with how these came out. And, with no oil or eggs, these healthy brownies tasted like anything but. This recipe was so easy to make that I would make these again.

Ashley Campbell

Black Bean Box Mix Brownies

• 1 Box mix brownies
  • 1 Can black beans drained and rinsed and blended with 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 Cup water

Preheat the oven to 350°

Drain and rinse the can of black beans and blend them with 3 tablespoons of water until they are pureed

Combine beans, brownie mix, and water in a mixing bowl, and stir well until all of the ingredients are completely mixed

Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan

Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean once inserted

Ashley Campbell