No fiesta is complete without dessert, especially on Cinco de Mayo. But between making guacamole, nachos and tacos, how will you have time to think about (much less cook) another dish? These Mexican hot chocolate pudding cups are the answer. They take less than 15 minutes to throw together and feed a crowd.

Zoe Malin

This Cinco de Mayo recipe is delicious when followed exactly, but feel free to put your own spin on it. Pour a shot of espresso in the pudding to give it bitter notes, or drizzle hot fudge sauce over the whipped cream to make it extra chocolaty. You can also double or triple the recipe depending on how many people you're serving.

Mexican hot chocolate pudding cups

• Cook Time:0

• 1 box Jell-O chocolate pudding mix
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • A sprinkle cayenne pepper or chili powder
  • Whipped cream or cool whip
  • Mini marshmallows
Zoe Malin

Make the chocolate pudding according to the “5-minute pudding directions” on the side of the box. Add one packet of the chocolate pudding mix and 3 cups of milk to a bowl and whisk together for two minutes.

Zoe Malin

Let the pudding stand for five minutes so it soft-sets.

Zoe Malin

When the pudding sets, add the cinnamon and cayenne or chili pepper to the bowl. Gently fold these ingredients into the pudding.

Zoe Malin

Using a spoon or ice cream scooper, fill six 9-ounce plastic cups with pudding until they are half full.

Zoe Malin

Add a swirl of whipped cream or a dollop of cool whip to each pudding cup.

Zoe Malin

Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the whipped cream.

Zoe Malin

Finally, top the pudding cups off with mini marshmallows.

Zoe Malin

Serving the pudding cups right away is best, but if you make them before hand, chill in the refrigerator until they’re ready to be eaten.

Zoe Malin
Zoe Malin