Craving pad Thai but stuck on a meal plan? I love using this sweet and spicy Thai peanut sauce to turn any dish from boring to bursting with Asian tang.

I enjoy making authentic Asian cuisine at home. So, I made it my mission to bring my taste of home to college any way I could. I realized that you can conjure up some Thai cuisine easily with ingredients found in the average dining hall.

Savory, spicy, and sweet, this sauce has it all. Oh, and did I mention peanut butter? It’s surprising how easy it is to make. The recipe calls for “1 minute,” but the only time truly required is the time it takes you to locate and collect all of your items and mix them together.

Sweet and Spicy Thai Sauce

• Prep Time:1 minute
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:1 minute

• 2 teaspoon peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon hot water (use the hot water from tea station)
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoon lime juice
  • 1 drizzle of honey
  • 1 drizzle of Sriracha
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch sugar

Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Use a regular-sized spoon for “1 teaspoon” (remember that three teaspoons equals one tablespoon).

#SpoonTip: If the dining hall has turmeric, garlic powder, red pepper flakes or crushed peanuts, add them into the mix for extra Thai flavor.

Photo by Gabi Rosenthal

Mix all the ingredients together. Use a fork as a whisk to break up the peanut butter, which will dissolve with help from the hot water. After everything is combined, use the peanut sauce to spice up noodles, vegetables, salads, or protein… be creative!

Photo by Gabi Rosenthal