If you’ve ever been to Pauley’s, you probably know about their famous Terrapin Dip.

The creamy, tangy amalgam of cheesy goodness is served alongside all of their sandwiches and crêpes, and big bowls of it are sold in the appetizer section of their menu.

It is usually served with their house-made “crêpe chips” for dipping. The crêpe chips taste like a hybrid of Stacy’s pita chips and the brown bagel chips found in Chex Mix with a pumpernickel aftertaste. Although recently Pauley’s has begun to serve their terrapin dip with crostini slices.

Most people don’t realize just how easy it is to make the dip though. This recipe aims to fix that. All you need is a bowl, some beer, and (preferably) a stand/hand mixer.

Pauley’s uses Athens’s own Terrapin Rye Pale Ale, which is good stuff, but may not be easily accessible-especially if you live outside of the south. But, have no fear non-southerners; any beer that calls itself an “American Pale Ale” (or “IPA” if you like it a little bit hoppier) will work nicely.

Pauley's Inspired "Terrapin Dip"

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes

• 16 oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup beer (recommend: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale)
  • 1 oz powdered ranch dressing mix
Photo by Regan Beck

Place the cream cheese into the bowl of your stand mixer (or just a bowl) along with the cheddar.

Photo by Regan Beck

Mix on low speed until the cheddar and cream cheese are thoroughly integrated.

Photo by Regan Beck

Add your powder. Mix on low.

Mix, again on low speed, until well incorporated.

Slowly add the beer. Warning: pouring the beer too quickly can cause a lot of fizzing which will not yield ideal results.

Photo by Regan Beck

Once all of the ingredients are incorporated thoroughly, turn your mixer to high and whip for 3-5 minutes.

Serve with pita or bagel chips.