Oatmeal is possibly the most customizable meal on the planet. Sweet or savory, gluten-free oats optional and 100% acceptable for any meal of the day.

This carrot cake oatmeal requires a bit more preparation than just artificially-flavored microwavable oatmeal. But trust that this treat is well worth the less than 15 minutes it takes to come together.

Plus, who wouldn’t feel good about incorporating a vegetable into breakfast or dessert?

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:8 minutes
  • Total Time:13 minutes

• 1/2 cup quick-cook oats
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoon grated carrot
  • 2 tablespoon grated apple
  • 2 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 2 tablespoon seedless raisins
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 pinch nutmeg
  • 1 pinch ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bring almond milk and water to a boil.

While waiting for almond milk and water to boil, grate carrots on a microplane grater and the apple on a medium-hole grater (or thinly chop).

Once almond milk and water come to a boil, stir in oats and turn the heat to low.  Let sit for 2 minutes.

#SpoonTip: Certified gluten free oats exist and are just as delicious.

Stir in apple, carrots, raisins and coconut flakes. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.

The oatmeal should be thickening by now; stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla extract. Cook for 1-2 more minutes.

Toppings optional, but always warmly welcomed. This bowl was sprinkled with extra cinnamon, coconut flakes, and some coconut palm syrup.

#SpoonTip: Coconut sugar is low on the glycemic index and nutrient dense making it the perfect natural option to sweeten up a breakfast of any form.