It’s that time of year when you pull out your sweaters, step into your riding boots, sip apple cider and most importantly, consume more pumpkin than should be considered socially appropriate. Pumpkin is everywhere when the sun sets earlier and the leaves start changing.

But what is pumpkin without chocolate? And what is chocolate when it’s not Nutella? Life without Nutella is like life without golden retriever puppies or without Adele releasing another album. Just imagine your two favorite things — Nutella and pumpkin — joining together in the most glorious of pairings.

With this recipe, you can experience the joys of these two divine gifts while basking in the glory that is fall. These cookies take basic pumpkin cookies to the next level. The best part? They’re easy enough to make in your dorm kitchen and since you stuff them like dumplings, they’re so much fun to make.

Nutella-Stuffed Pumpkin Cookies

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:14 minutes
  • Total Time:44 minutes
  • Servings:25 cookies

• 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 4 tablespoon pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
  • Nutella (refrigerated)
Photo by Diona Campbell

Combine the flour and baking soda in medium bowl.

Photo by Diona Campbell

Melt the butter in 15 second increments in the microwave in a large bowl. Allow to cool.

Photo by Diona Campbell

Add salt and sugar to melted butter and combine until thoroughly blended.

Photo by Diona Campbell

Add egg, egg yolk, pumpkin, spices, and vanilla. Mix until fully combined.

#SpoonTip: Use this spice mix for extra pumpkin seasoning.

Photo by Diona Campbell

Add dry ingredients, pecans (optional), and chocolate chips. Mix thoroughly.

#SpoonTip: Either use mini chocolate chips or chop up normal sized chips. The cookies will then be less lumpy (and a lot smoother and easier to work with).

Photo by Diona Campbell

Chill the dough until it can be easily handled (roughly 2-3 hours or overnight). If you’re in a hurry, you can put it in the freezer, but don’t let it freeze completely.

Photo by Diona Campbell

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Scoop 3 tablespoons dough (or a small handful) and roll it into a ball. Press it into pancake.

#SpoonTip: Do this on wax paper. If you don’t have any, sprinkle some flour onto your work surface and put some on your hands. 

Photo by Diona Campbell

Using a spoon or knife, place a teaspoon of cold Nutella into the center of the pancake cookie.

Photo by Diona Campbell

Fold the edges of the pancake cookie around the Nutella and pinch. Place dough balls on a cookie sheet with 2-3 inches between each cookie ball.

Photo by Diona Campbell

Bake the cookies for 14 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown.

#SpoonTip: The cookies may look a bit underdone in the middle, but they will continue to cook while they cool.

Photo by Diona Campbell