It’s an indisputable fact that the crust is the best part of any pie. It’s buttery and flaky and contrasts perfectly with any fruit or cream filling, bringing pie to a level a mere cake can never reach.

Unfortunately for those with a dairy or gluten intolerance, this level of perfection is one that can almost never be reached by crusts made without normal flour and tons and tons of butter. Usually, gluten-free or dairy-free pie crusts are not only bland from lack of butter, but have a chalky or cracker like consistency, making it something no one really wants to eat, and defeating the purpose of having a slice of pie altogether.

Today, all that changes.

No more going Whole Foods to buy a gluten-free pie crust, thinking it’ll be at least palatable, only to find in revolting. No more telling yourself that trying to make a gluten and dairy-free pie crust at home is something too hard to even consider.

This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free, and yet still manages to mimic the buttery-ness of a normal crust, giving you the pie eating experience you deserve. And best of all? It is SO easy.

The ingredients for this pie crust may be a little pricey, but trust me, it’s worth it. This crust is the perfect vessel for any filling you can dream up, can also be used as a tart shell, and is easily doubled to make two crusts or work for a pie that needs a top crust layer. If you’re using this crust for a pie recipe that calls for an unbaked pie crust, simply stop at step four and use immediately or keep frozen until needed.

Gluten and Dairy-Free Pie Crust

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes
  • Servings:1 Pie Crust

• 2 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
  • 1 tablespoon coconut flour
  • 1 large cold egg
  • 5 teaspoon ice water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 tablespoon palm shortening
Photo by Michael Habisohn

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Place the almond flour, coconut flour, egg, ice water and sea salt in a food processor and pulse for 30 seconds.

Photo by Michael Habisohn

Add the shortening, spacing the spoonfuls around the food processor bowl, and pulse 4-5 times until the dough just begins to come together.

Photo by Michael Habisohn

Press the dough into the bottom and sides of a pie pan, making sure to spread it evenly.

#SpoonTip: Use plastic wrap on top of the dough to spread it in the pie pan to keep your hands clean.

Photo by Michael Habisohn

Place a circle of parchment paper or aluminum foil on the pie crust and fill with pie weights or uncooked beans.

Photo by Michael Habisohn

Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges just begin to turn gold. Then carefully remove the parchment paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes.

Photo by Michael Habisohn