What gushes cheese, is packed with meat but is sweet like cinnamon all at the same time?

A French toast Monte Cristo sandwich–a hybrid between a traditional European sandwich and your classic French toast. This is UMD Dining Service’s newest Late Night creation.

Even though the late night event is now over, we had the chance to up meet with Chef John Gray, the mastermind behind this dish, to learn how your typical college student can whip up this indulgent dish.

Are you a fan of meat, cheese, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla? Well, it’s your lucky day. This sandwich combines the hardy taste of meat with the delicate taste of vanilla to create a meal that will make your taste buds sing songs of worship.

Medium

Prep Time:
 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings:

3

9 ounces sliced turkey
6 ounces sliced ham
3 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
6 slices thick bread
4 eggs
3 ounces heavy cream or milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter
Salt to taste

Directions:
1. Lay bread out flat, top 3 slices of bread with 3 ounces turkey, 2 ounces ham and 1 ounce Swiss cheese. Place the other piece of sliced bread on top to make a sandwich.

sandwich

Photo by Jennifer Cao

2. Crack eggs onto a bowl, whisk eggs and then add heavy cream or milk. Whisk until eggs are smooth.

sandwich

Photo by Jennifer Cao

3. Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt to egg mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.

sandwich

Photo by Jennifer Cao

4. Heat a sauté pan over medium heat, add butter and let melt.

sandwich

Photo by Jennifer Cao

5. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture to coat the entire sandwich. Place dipped sandwich into sauté pan and brown both sides of the sandwich. Turn heat down if browning too fast. Cook until golden brown and deli meats and cheese are hot.

sandwich

Photo by Jennifer Cao

6. Remove from pan, cut in half to serve.

sandwich

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Whoever thought sweet French toast could combine with hardy meat and actually taste good?

It’s a thing, people. It’s a satisfying and delicious thing.

You a fan of French toast and/or sandwiches? Lemme help you out…